× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 OS6.6 - Using Time Machine in mixed Windows / Mac Environment

ReadyNASNewb
Follower

RN214 OS6.6 - Using Time Machine in mixed Windows / Mac Environment

I have recently purchased a ReadyNAS 214 and everything is working great, except I am having some issues with Time Machine.

The documentation for the RN214 states that in a mixed Windows and Apple environment then you should only use SMB, not AFP. This is fine, however without AFP enabled, the time machine backups don't work.

What I'm finding is that when time machine connects to the NAS for a backup, it is obviously using AFP. If at the same time I try to connect to a different share on the same NAS through finder using SMB, finder gives me an error saying the server is unavailable. If I wait for Time Machine to finish, or stop it manually, then I can connect through finder using SMB again.

If I've already connected to the NAS using SMB and then time machine kicks in, then everything is fine. I'll stay connected in finder and time machine will backup ok. But if Time Machine has started and then I try to connect to the NAS using SMB, that's when I get the error.

Has anyone else seen this or have the same scenario working?

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 3
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN214 OS6.6 - Using Time Machine in mixed Windows / Mac Environment

Hi ReadyNASNewb,

Welcome to the community.

I would like to verify if few things:

1. What firmware are you using?

2. What error message are you getting and do you get this on both Windows and Apple OS?

3. As far as understand you did try enabling both CIFS and AFP but is experiencing issues depending on which protocol is being used first?

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN214 OS6.6 - Using Time Machine in mixed Windows / Mac Environment

Hi ReadyNASNewb,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements