× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN314 - Cannot delete inactive volumes

NewUser101
Aspirant

RN314 - Cannot delete inactive volumes

I recently had a drive fail so removed it and replaced it with a new disk.

In the process I forgot to destroy the old volume and went to create the new volume (I have 4x volumes - 1 per disk) and it failed to create the volume.

Now I seem to be stuck in a situation where my attempts to remove "DESTROY" the old volume plus the attempted one are not working and I cannot create a new volume.

Any suggestions on how to destroy the inactive volumes when no response in the GUI?

RN314 is on Firware 6.10.4

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN314 - Cannot delete inactive volumes

I ran into this myself a couple of months ago, with 6.10.3 firmware. I couldn't destroy it with rnutil volume_util either.  

The problem was that the destroy attempts were termininating before the volume was removed from fstab.  Among other things, that resulted in some errors in scripts that are auto-generated by systemd-fstab-generator.  Removing the no-longer-present mount from fstab and rebooting the NAS seems to have fixed it.  If you are using the Antivirus software, I think you will also need to toggle that.

Message 2 of 3
NewUser101
Aspirant

Re: RN314 - Cannot delete inactive volumes

I ended up trying a few different attempts.  What seemed to have worked was attempt to delete the new one, then wait 10mins, then reboot, then delete the old one, then wait 10mins, then reboot.  Seems to have cleared it up.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements