× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN3220 - Checking File System for 18 Hours

Jmeyer00
Aspirant

RN3220 - Checking File System for 18 Hours

We have an RN 3220 that was previously deployed to our DR site. Maybe a year ago the UI stopped responding. But the file share was still accessible. Recently we found that while we could view the file system, and even write to it, we could not read from it. Luckily this unit is used for tertiary backup so we decided to have it shipped back to us for a factory reset.

Yeserday I performed the factory reset via the front panel controls. After booting up in what I thought would be factory default mode RAIDar showed "corrupt boot". I found the option to reinstall the OS on the NAS and took that. It took maybe 15 or so minutes to reboot and, I presume, reinstall the OS. Then RAIDar showed the status as "Checking file system". That started about 18 hours ago. This is a 30-something TB capacity system. 

I know that a Windows chkdsk on a volume that size could take days to complete depending on the level of corruption. Should I expect that kind of time frame? If so, is there a way to bypass this and just start over from nothing sooner? There is no need to prserve the data on this NAS. I can copy the data back on to it after I get it back up and running. 

Model: RN3220|ReadyNAS 3220 (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN3220 - Checking File System for 18 Hours

@Jmeyer00 wrote:

I found the option to reinstall the OS on the NAS and took that. It took maybe 15 or so minutes to reboot and, I presume, reinstall the OS.

Is your goal still do to a factory reset? FWIW, that's what I'd want to do.

If so, one way to accomplish that is to power down the NAS, and remove the partitions from all the drives.  You might also want to test them with vendor tools (Lifeguard for Western Digital, Seatools for Seagate).  If so, you could also zero the disks with those tools as part of the testing.

Then reinstall the disks, and power up the NAS.  It will do a factory install when the disks are blank (not partitioned).

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN3220 - Checking File System for 18 Hours

Both "corrupt root" and the excessively long time for the file system check make it sound like one of the drives is failing.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements