× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RND2000 (ReadyNas Duo) for off-site backup?

readykilowatt
Aspirant

RND2000 (ReadyNas Duo) for off-site backup?

Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place, I'm new here...

I have a readynas Ultra2 as my primary home server. I have the opportunity to set up an off-site backup but I have to supply the hardware. Checking prices I think the Readynas Duo with a single 2TB drive would be ideal, since this will only be used as a backup, not for anything else. But I've read that there are some issues with the old units and large drives. Will that be a problem, and what else should I watch out for?

I also have a Via s2100 mini server (http://www.viaembedded.com/en/products/systems/1350/1/M%27SERV_S2100_%282-Bay,_Nano-ITX%29_%28EOL%29.html) that I was going to use as the hardware for a FreeNAS system but then I found the readynas as an open box return and figured it was less hassle. I'd likely just load up Mint or older Ubuntu instead of FreeNAS just because I'm familiar enough with Linux to get it going as a Rsync server and that'd be it.

Just looking at options at this point. Nothing wrong with what I'm doing for backups now, which is a USB drive in the safe. It's just that the opportunity opened up and would be a good way to have a little extra protection in case the worst happened. But I'd also like to keep the setup and maintenance of the system simple, hence looking at a ReadyNAS solution.
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: RND2000 (ReadyNas Duo) for off-site backup?

Duo V1 works fine with 2 TB drives, but does not support anything larger.

Are you planning to secure the remote connection?
Message 2 of 3
readykilowatt
Aspirant

Re: RND2000 (ReadyNas Duo) for off-site backup?

It's already fairly secure, I know the people who have physical access fairly well. Drive encryption would be a nice option, which I know I can do with a DIY solution, and rsync can use SSH for the link. Don't know if the readynas will encrypt drives or not, my guess is no.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements