× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RND2110-100NAS installation problems

Flyfish_2002
Aspirant

RND2110-100NAS installation problems

Hi.  I purchased the above unit off of eBay about 12 months ago.  I plugged it in when I received it, it powered up then I put it on a shelf

This week I purchased two WD20EARS-00S8B1 2TB HDDs to set-up the NAS.  I installed the HDDs, connected the NAS to my router and powered it up. 

My router found the new NAS.  Raidair 6.3.0 could not find it  - Raidair has consistently found my other RND2110 I installed a couple of years ago.  When I tried to log-in to the new NAS admin page using the IP address from the router, the default username and PW are not accepted.  I can log-in to my existing NAS.

So, I powered down and attempted to enter the boot menu.  I tried to enter boot menu with the two HDDs in and it did not work.  I powered down, removed the two HDDs and tried again - nope.  Both times:  power light blinks and disk 2 light is steady illuminated.  Those are the only lights on the front panel. 

Last oddity:  the ethernet port on the rear is green on one side and is amber on the other.   Router registers ethernet connection at 1GB

First, if I have a dud, well I learned a lesson.   Let me know.

Second, if I buy a new two drive Netgear NAS, can I place the two new HDDs in and go?  They were fresh out of packaging today, have no data, just were in the RND2110 for about four hours today during the chaos.  

Thank you.

Model: ReadyNAS RND2110|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Flyfish_2002
Aspirant

Re: RND2110-100NAS installation problems

Thank you.  Installed the two HDDs, Raidar found the new unit, currently updating firmware.  

Appears I am in business. 

Appreciate the help.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
Flyfish_2002
Aspirant

Today I did poower down (had to remove power cord) then power up.  Power light is solid blue but the remaining front panel lights are lit and blinking in unison:  one slow - one slow - three fast; one slow - one slow - three fast; etc.

Thanks.

Model: ReadyNAS Remote|
Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Flyfish_2002 wrote:

Today I did poower down (had to remove power cord) then power up.  Power light is solid blue but the remaining front panel lights are lit and blinking in unison:  one slow - one slow - three fast; one slow - one slow - three fast; etc.

The decoder ring for the blinking LEDs is 

LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by an 1s delay
, followed by a number of slow blinks. The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1 - Vendor mismatch
2 - No disks detected
3 - Bad contents on root partition of disks
4 - Flash error
5 - Unsupported RAID configuration 

So it sounds like your system isn't detecting the disks.  You can confirm that with RAIDar ( https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar )

Use the old version of RAIDar (4.3.8), as it is more compatible with your legacy NAS.

Message 3 of 8
Flyfish_2002
Aspirant

Thank you very mich.  I did not re-insert the two HDDs so right now the unit is diskless and the error code of two slow flashes indicates so much.

I did install the 4.3.8 version of Raidar and this NAS we are discussing was located as was my existing Netgear NAS.

In Raidar v4.3.8, the buttons for set-up, browse and format are grayed out on the "problem child" NAS but all buttons are "available" for my existing NAS.  Should I re-insert the two HDDs and see what happens?

Message 4 of 8
Flyfish_2002
Aspirant

And I cannot log-in to the NAS..but I am able to log-in to my existing Netgear NAS.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

The OS is installed onto the disks, so you can't do anything if the unit has no disks inserted.

Message 6 of 8
Flyfish_2002
Aspirant

Thank you.  Installed the two HDDs, Raidar found the new unit, currently updating firmware.  

Appears I am in business. 

Appreciate the help.

Message 7 of 8
Flyfish_2002
Aspirant

Firmware updated, NAS found and accesible, volume is synching...takes awhile but making progress.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements