× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+ no longer visible from Network wirelessly after 5 years - frontend works fine

mbehm
Aspirant

RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+ no longer visible from Network wirelessly after 5 years - frontend works fine

seemingly out of the blue both my windows7 and windows10 laptops can no longer access my readyNas VN+.  I've tried rebooting laptops... NAS, and modem... turned off everything in the network and back on... updated Nas firmware to RAIDiator 4.1.16 [1.00a043] .

My current configuration which has worked for 3 years now is wireless using modem and wireless booster...then ethernet from booster to hub and then ethernet to Nas....

All other devices connected to the hub are working fine...

I have not tried connecting laptop and NAS directly to modem...

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+ no longer visible from Network wirelessly after 5 years - frontend works

It would be a good time to make a backup.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 19

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+ no longer visible from Network wirelessly after 5 years - frontend works

Are you saying that you can log into the web ui ( https://nas-ip-address/admin ), but you can't access the windows shares?

If so, look at "turn windows features on or off" in the Windows 10 PC, and see if the SMB 1.0/CIFS client is installed.  If it isn't, then reinstall it, reboot the PC, and try accessing the NAS shares again.

Message 2 of 19
mbehm
Aspirant

Ok.. I checked the SMB and it was not active... I activated and restarted... same symptoms... forgot to mention that I can see other computers on the network... only the NAS is not visible

Message 3 of 19
StephenB
Guru

There's Windows Discovery (seeing the NAS in the network list), and actual SMB access (reading/writing the files).  They are very different things.

You can easily work around discovery problems, but you cannot work around access problems.  So let's get access working first. 

So concentrate on entering  \\nas-ip-address into windows explorer, and making sure you can access the files.

Message 4 of 19
mbehm
Aspirant

That didn't work on either my windows7 or windows10 machine... both saw 'Windows cannont access \\192.168.1.76

error code 0x80004005 and 'diagnose' found not errors... surprise surprise

Message 5 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Try rebooting the PC, and then opening CMD (command prompt). Enter

net use * /delete

net use t: \\192.168.1.76\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real admin password of course.  Be careful on both spaces and the slash directions.

The first command terminates any open network sessions to the NAS (likely there won't be any).  The second attempts to mount the NAS C volume as drive letter t.

Message 6 of 19
mbehm
Aspirant

On my windows10 machine i got this

C:\Users\Mikw Bwhm>net use t: \\192.168.1.76\C /user:admin <I used correct pw>
System error 384 has occurred.

You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack.
Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747

On windows7 machine

I got

System error 58 has occurred

The specified server cannot perform the requested operation

Message 7 of 19
StephenB
Guru

That message suggests that the SMB 1.0 client is not installed on the Windows 10 system.  Is that correct?

Message 8 of 19
mbehm
Aspirant

corrent. I enabled it and tried again... this time I get the following from the net use command

System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

I can ping 192.168.1.76 from both the windows 10 and 7 machines

Message 9 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Is there any internet security software running on the PCs?  If there is, try disabling it and retesting.

Can you try downloading the logs from RAIDar, and take a look at disk_usage.log.  look at the first entry (something like what's below)

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdc1 2.0G 444M 1.6G 23% /

Do you have a similar amount of free space?

Message 10 of 19
mbehm
Aspirant

What I see in the logs is

Mon May 21 11:22:46 CDT 2018 Volume is approaching capacity: 100% used 1.2M available

Message 11 of 19
StephenB
Guru

That's the data volume, not the OS partition.  Download the log zip file (as requested earlier) and look in disk_usage.log for /dev/hdc1 

Message 12 of 19
mbehm
Aspirant

Shortly after pressing the 'Download All logs' button my RAIDar website is cleared and I can no longer start it... without cycling power on the NAS... so I can not make it through a log download it seems... I checked Firefox download folder and there are no files there. 

Message 13 of 19
mbehm
Aspirant

And it seems like now I can no longer power down the NAS via the power button... I have to unplug it to power down.  Things are going from bad to worse... Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 19
StephenB
Guru

It sounds like the OS partition might have been nearly full, with the log download perhaps pushing it over the edge.

Have you any experience with linux shell commands?

Message 15 of 19
mbehm
Aspirant

I think I've resolved the issue... I reloaded the OS and it's now working

Message 16 of 19
StephenB
Guru

It would be a good time to make a backup.

Message 17 of 19
mbehm
Aspirant

This is a backup of a backup... thanks for all the prompt replies...

Message 18 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@mbehm wrote:

This is a backup of a backup... thanks for all the prompt replies...

Good to know. This could be related to OS partition fullness, and if that's the case the problem will recur.

I suggest clearing the logs from the web ui, and then after that downloading fresh ones.  Then look in disk_usage.log at the OS partition fullness as shown here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/RND4000-ReadyNAS-NV-no-longer-visible-from-Netw... If the OS partition still looks very full, then I'd recommend a factory reset, and reload the files from the source.

Also, your data volume is extremely full, so if you are continuing to write files to it, you should probably delete some of the content.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements