× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDP 2000 Setup Issue

Dasloop
Aspirant

RNDP 2000 Setup Issue

Repurposing my ReadyNAS RNDP2000 and went through the process of reinstalling the OS.

Reused 2 existing hard drives, that are identitical, in the NAS that have been formatted.

NAS is connected to my laptop and I was able to detect it using RAIDar 4.3.8.  

Managed to get as far as the selecting RAID setup which I defaulted to using XRaid.  

Left setup to run over night and returned the next day to complete the setup, but unfortunatelyI was not able detect the NAS with RAIDar or continue the setup using my browser.

I'm currently unable to ping the NAS at setup address 192.168.168.168

My network settings on laptop are;

IP 192.168.168.167

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Router 192.168.168.1

When I remove the hard drives and reboot the RAIDar application detects the NAS but obviously gives a message that says "No drive detected".  When I but back the drives and reboot I encounter the above mentioned issue.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Model: RNDP2000|ReadyNAS Pro 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Re: RNDP 2000 Setup Issue

What happens if you connect the NAS to your router (or an ethernet switch)?

Message 2 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

That IP address means the NAS failed to obtain an IP address via DHCP.  Since it is outside the subnet of the computer, the NAS is unreachable by the PC.  RAIDar uses a different method to search, but it since it works without the OS installed on the drives, but not after, that tends to indicate it's a firmware problem..  I'd try an OS re-install and see if it wasn't just a bad OS install.  Since OS re-install doesn't re-install all configuration files, try a factory default next if the re-install does nothing.

You may want to take this opportunity to switch your NAS to OS6.  But I recommend you solve the IP issue first. 

Message 3 of 25
Dasloop
Aspirant

Connected the NAS to the network and used RAIDar and it does not appear.

My local network has a different  IP configuration than the NAS setup IP.  The range is 192.168.0.###

Message 4 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Dasloop wrote:

My local network has a different  IP configuration than the NAS setup IP.  

That's because it defaults to 192.168.168.168 when it sees no response from DHCP.   Otherwise, it uses the address it gets from the router.

@Dasloop wrote:

Connected the NAS to the network and used RAIDar and it does not appear.

Was the PC connected with WiFi?  It's a bit odd that RAIDar would see it when directly connected, but not when it's connected to your network.

Is the ethernet LED lit on the NAS?

Do you think the NAS is syncing?  During the RAID setup it could go non-responsive (though that's more likely with the Duo than the Pro-2).

Message 5 of 25
Dasloop
Aspirant

Did the "Factory Default" install. 

Ran through the prompts and was able to choose XRAID via RAIDar.

Not sure but I believe install seem to take. The drive on NAS seem to be syncing and saw the activity light flickering. "Disk 2" was flickering while "Disk 1" remained steady.  

Wrote down the MAC address during the install.

I misunderstood the instructions from before and though that the NAS initially had to be setup directly connected to a workstation during the initial setup.

NAS is now connected directly to router.    After the initial install setup was completed the NAS disapeared from the RAIDar. Left it alone for the night.  Next day tried to bring up web page interface but got nothing.

Ran command on terminal "arp -a" and I'm able to see the NAS by identifying by it's MAC address. 

The ethernet LED lights are lit on the NAS. The NAS has an IP and I can ping it and get a response but it's not showing up on RAIDar and I cant  connect to the web interface. 

Reran the OS install but still stuck with the same above issue.

Message 6 of 25
Dasloop
Aspirant

Forgot to mention the NAS only appears on the RAIDar app when the disk are ejected from the NAS.

Message 7 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Can you try powering up with only one disk installed?   Maybe try the set up again with only one disk.

Message 8 of 25
Dasloop
Aspirant

Powered up the NAS with only one drive in either bay. Still encountering the same issue.

Did a factory default install with only one drive installed. RAIDar setup completed cuccessfully drive test and proceed to do the volume setup and it would seem at this point, when the volume setup is complete, that the NAS no longer appears in the RAIDar and I encounter the same issue as before. Can ping but no access to the web interface.

I've switched eithernet cable and location plugged into the router with a different ReadyNAS I own with no success. 

Message 9 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Do you still have the original array (before repurposing the NAS)?  Or are those disks reformatted?

If you reboot after it hangs, what happens?

Message 10 of 25
Dasloop
Aspirant

Do you still have the original array (before repurposing the NAS)?  Or are those disks reformatted?

Unfortunately those disks have been reformatted and placed into a different NAS.

If you reboot after it hangs, what happens?

I'm not sure that it is hanging based on the activity light continues to flicker.  During the last setup the same series of events happened along with what looked like the disk two syncing.  Still encountering the same issue as before with just the one drive and not able to access the web interface.

Message 11 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Dasloop wrote:

I'm not sure that it is hanging based on the activity light continues to flicker.  During the last setup the same series of events happened along with what looked like the disk two syncing.  Still encountering the same issue as before with just the one drive and not able to access the web interface.

Does this happen with both of the disks (that is, did you try the one-disk test with both of them)?

Are you getting a timeout on the web interface?  Or a different error?

Message 12 of 25
Dasloop
Aspirant

Does this happen with both of the disks (that is, did you try the one-disk test with both of them)?

Erased and formatted both disks using the RAIDar interface.  Installed only one and ran through doing the Factory install. Encountered the issue. Repeated the process with the second disk encountering the same issue.

Are you getting a timeout on the web interface?  

"Safari Can't Connect to the Server"

Or a different error?

No other errors encountered.

Message 13 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Dasloop wrote:

"Safari Can't Connect to the Server"

This is using https://nas-ip-address/admin ? (use the IP address, not the host name).

Also, is it saying that it can't connect, or that it can't make a secure connection?

Message 14 of 25
Dasloop
Aspirant

This is using https://nas-ip-address/admin ? (use the IP address, not the host name).

Also, is it saying that it can't connect, or that it can't make a secure connection?

Yes I'm using the NAS IP address.  

Full message is - "Safari Can't Connect to the Server. Safari can't open the page "<IP>" because Safari can't connect to the server. "<IP>"

Message 15 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Might be worth trying a different browser (either firefox or chrome).

Message 16 of 25
Dasloop
Aspirant

i have three other ReadyNAS's and this is only one that I'm not able to connect to the web interface.

I've tried conecting from Chrome and IE with no success.

Message 17 of 25
StephenB
Guru

I'm puzzled on what might be happening, and have run out of ideas to try.

Are your other NAS also Pro-2 models (or 4.2.x NAS with only two disks)?

Message 18 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

Your NAS seems to be running fine when it's runnig from the OS on the flash, whihc it does before volume creation, but not opnce it transfers control to the one on the drives.

Without the drives, is RAIDar properly identifying the model and serial number?  The OS will not load if it does not recognize it's on legit Netgear hardware.  Normally, though, it will substitute the primary MAC address for the serial number if that's all that's corrupted.

If that's not it, then a USB recovery may fix it.  The OS it's running on from flash is a different image that the one it installs on the drives when you factory default.  So, maybe that installed image is defective.  USB recovery should fix that unless there is a hardware issue with the flash that's the real root cause.

Message 19 of 25
mdgm
Virtuoso

I agree with Sandshark.

I suspect that if you had a unit with a LCD display it would give the error "Could not properly extract..." or something like that indicating that the OS files on the flash that are extracted onto the disks are corrupt. Consequently it can't boot off the disks.

If that is the case then USB Boot Recovery may fix this. USB Boot Recovery attempts to repair the internal flash.

A possible side effect of USB Boot Recovery is corruption of the EEPROM.

If the problem was simply the EEPROM being corrupt (model, serial etc. missing/corrupt) RAIDar should still recognise the unit.

Message 20 of 25
Dasloop
Aspirant

Yes.

Message 21 of 25
Dasloop
Aspirant

Sounds promising. Where can I locate the files and steps for the USB recovery?

Message 22 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Dasloop wrote:

Where can I locate the files and steps for the USB recovery?

https://kb.netgear.com/30267/RAIDiator-4-2-USB-Recovery-Tool

Message 23 of 25
Dasloop
Aspirant

Hmmm tried two usb sticks with no go.

I think I'm going to purchase support for a year. 

Do you think it's worth it?

Message 24 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Dasloop wrote:

Do you think it's worth it?

Honestly, no.  

In your specific case, if you can't boot the system into tech support mode, then there's nothing support can do for you.  So you should see if you can do that before you purchase support.  Also, if you have an older USB drive, you might try that.  Generally older/smaller ones work better for this.

Suitable replacements are the RN212 and RN422.  The RN422 is the equivalent of your pro-2.  The RN212 is an arm-based NAS that also gives comparable performance.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements