× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDP4000 (Pro 4) - extremely slow write speeds 2.4 MB/sec vs good read speeds 94 MB/sec

Gobuchul
Aspirant

RNDP4000 (Pro 4) - extremely slow write speeds 2.4 MB/sec vs good read speeds 94 MB/sec

When I first bought the Pro 4 a few years ago the write speed was comparable to the read speed, but it has dropped off to the point where it is really affecting my use of it.

I have tested it with NAS performance tester 1.7 and the write speed averages 2.4 MB/sec over the 5 iterations, whereas the read speed is average 94 MB/sec

I have 3 WD RED 3TB drives running in the default X-RAID2, all fairly new with no SMART issues.

I am using the latest 4.2.30 firmware. My main PC is running Windows 10.

The protocol is CIFS and I do not have jumbo frames enabled.

I have no idea where to start to get this fixed - any ideas?

Model: ReadyNASRNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RNDP4000 (Pro 4) - extremely slow write speeds 2.4 MB/sec vs good read speeds 94 MB/sec

Are you using NIC bonding on the Pro?  If so, try testing with only one ethernet connection.

Is TX flow control enabled on the win-10 system?  If not, try enabling it.  Usually there's a flow control setting you can access via device manager.

Common root causes include a bad ethernet cable and a failing NIC along the signal path.  For gigabit, the cables should be at least cat 5e.  Some easy tests include changing NIC ports on the NAS, trying different ports in the router/swtich for the NAS and the PC, trying different cables, and making sure the connectors are firmly seated.  A direct connect test between the PC and the NAS could be useful (either eliminating the router/switches, or implicating them).

You could also try downloading the log zip file before a NasTester run, and also run netstat -e from the windows command line.  Capture both sets of ethernet statistics.  After the NasTester run completes, get final ethernet stats and subtract the initial set to get what happened during the test.  Then you can get some idea on the network quality (particularly TX on the windows system and RX on the pro).

The warranty on the pro-4 is 5 years for the original purchaser, and it is possible you still have warranty coverage.  If that's the case, you want to make sure you engage support before the warranty runs out.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: RNDP4000 (Pro 4) - extremely slow write speeds 2.4 MB/sec vs good read speeds 94 MB/sec

Are you using NIC bonding on the Pro?  If so, try testing with only one ethernet connection.

Is TX flow control enabled on the win-10 system?  If not, try enabling it.  Usually there's a flow control setting you can access via device manager.

Common root causes include a bad ethernet cable and a failing NIC along the signal path.  For gigabit, the cables should be at least cat 5e.  Some easy tests include changing NIC ports on the NAS, trying different ports in the router/swtich for the NAS and the PC, trying different cables, and making sure the connectors are firmly seated.  A direct connect test between the PC and the NAS could be useful (either eliminating the router/switches, or implicating them).

You could also try downloading the log zip file before a NasTester run, and also run netstat -e from the windows command line.  Capture both sets of ethernet statistics.  After the NasTester run completes, get final ethernet stats and subtract the initial set to get what happened during the test.  Then you can get some idea on the network quality (particularly TX on the windows system and RX on the pro).

The warranty on the pro-4 is 5 years for the original purchaser, and it is possible you still have warranty coverage.  If that's the case, you want to make sure you engage support before the warranty runs out.

Message 2 of 4
Gobuchul
Aspirant

Thank you for your quick response and advice.

After some swapping around of cables and switches I isolated the problem to a failing Netgear GS608 v2 switch. Swapped it for my Netgear GS208 and the write speeds shot up to 66 MB/sec.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad you were able to resolve it.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements