× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDU4000 won't expand

PeeDeePee
Aspirant

RNDU4000 won't expand

I replaced 2x 1.5TB with 2x 3TB drives and the unit won't auto expand. the other slots have 2x 4TB.

Volumes rebuilt fine, but didn't expand.

Is there a way to force expand? Or to get the system to check for the disks and begin the process?

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU4000|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: RNDU4000 won't expand

@PeeDeePee wrote:

I replaced 2x 1.5TB with 2x 3TB drives and the unit won't auto expand. the other slots have 2x 4TB.

Volumes rebuilt fine, but didn't expand.

That is as designed.  You'd have needed to upgrade with 4 TB drives in order to expand.

You could try to exchange the disks for 4 TB models.  Or if you have a backup, you could do a factory default with all disks in place.  That you get you the full use of all disks.

Message 2 of 6
PeeDeePee
Aspirant

Thats odd - those 1.5 TB I replaced auto expanded when i used them to replace the 500GB drives that were in there. Is there a reason it didn't happen again?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Vertical expansion only works if the new drives are at least as big as the biggest drives in the system.

What drive mix did you have when you upgraded the 500 GB drives to 1.5 TB drives?

Message 4 of 6
PeeDeePee
Aspirant

2x500, 2x4tb

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@PeeDeePee wrote:

2x500, 2x4tb

Yes.  So you needed to upgrade the 500gb drives to at least 4 TB.  In-between sizes won't work.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements