× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RNDuo - Filesize on SMB-Share "80GB sureplus"

Lucid_Gnu
Aspirant

RNDuo - Filesize on SMB-Share "80GB sureplus"

Hi,

i mounted an SMB-share (sudo mount -t cifs //<ip-adress>/share/ /local_directory/)
and as i execute "du -sh ./*" in the share it shows 160 GB of used space instead of 85 GB.. .
how come ?
However, the Frontview-Interface (http://<ip-adress>/admin/)
shows correctly that about 90 GB of the NAS-drive is used.
how do i get the correct filesize using the "du-diskusage"-program on the share ? (it's actually an directory structure rather than a file)
I did not verify wether the files are corrupted, because i do not know how to do so.
Single testfiles at the size of 2.7 GB are shown correctly by "du -sh ./*", after beeing transferred.

thanks for your answer in advance...
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: RNDuo - Filesize on SMB-Share "80GB sureplus"

Are there hidden files?
Message 2 of 4
Lucid_Gnu
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Are there hidden files?

I don't know, the directory structure is to vast.
I don't think there are hidden files. I would wonder where the hidden files would have come from.
No dot-files (hidden files) should be there
Besides Frontview is showing the correct size...

I used a downloaded Ubuntu-Repository which i downloaded using apt-mirror (DL-directory :/var/spool/apt-mirror/mirror/)
and i don't think there are hidden files in the Repository

Could the different blocksize of the NAS and the Computer be the reason ?
it has been written by others that the NAS has a filesystem using a blocksize of 16K.
My Computer however has a blocksize of 4K.

Let me also write about my Problem i had trying to copy 85GB of Data using the "smbclient" (smbclient -U <user-account> //<ip-Adress>/<share>/)

i used a switch and ran into problems. It seemed that the smbclient would not operate correctly on that amount of Data. eventhough its faster than a "mount -t cifs".

Now i am connected using a HUB, which gives more reliability, as it seems to me. using the smbclient in conjunction with a switch gave me trouble login in.

(NO SERVER REPLY for about 20000 xxx)
Message 3 of 4
Lucid_Gnu
Aspirant

In order to use "sudo mount -t cifs"

you need to install "smbfs" (sudo apt-get install smbfs), otherwise you keep getting error messages on Ubuntu 10.04 systems.

danke.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements