× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Update 6.9.3 Bricked RN104

GROUCHOMRX
Aspirant

I too seem to have a similar problem. I came home after a few days away and I have the same version of firmware it seems (6.9.3 as seen on LCD) and now it fails to read the disks and they even drop in and out, telling me a new disk was added. It boots to safe mode.

I do not care about the unit, but I really want the contents of my 4x3TB disks. What can I do to recover my data or even better, get the unit to work as before? 

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not sure why you considered this the same as https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Firmware-Update-6-9-3-Bricked-RN104/m-p/1557675

Your NAS isn't displaying a boot from USB failed! error every time you boot the NAS without a USB Boot Recovery key connected. Different problems belong in different threads.

Soiunds like you could have a bad disk or some other problem. Have you reviewed the logs?

Message 2 of 4
GROUCHOMRX
Aspirant

Because, the NAS won't boot with the mounted harddrives. Whenever I get it to boot normally it says I have to run the wizard. The harddrives themselves seem fine. I cannot access any logs since it won't let me in to download them. This has happened since the 6.9.3-upgrade. I worked fine before that.

The drives mounts randomly on and off, but I never get into the old setup anymore. When I get it to boot (it always boots to safe mode) and I have no way to access anything. I tried to rn the wizard, but after a reboot I am back at nothing again.

How can I access any logs?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@GROUCHOMRX wrote:

Because, the NAS won't boot with the mounted harddrives.

There are several potential causes, and there's no evidence (at this point anyway) that your RN104's flash has issues.  Generally it's best to create your own thread for your problem, even if it looks similar to someone elses.  One reason:  it's difficult to untangle the who's done what with what results when you are working with multiple posters on the same thread.

@GROUCHOMRX wrote:

The harddrives themselves seem fine.

How have you tested them?  Using vendor tools in a Windows PC is a good way (Seatools for Seagate, LifeGuard for Western Digital).

@GROUCHOMRX wrote:

How can I access any logs?

Have you tried accessing them with RAIDar?  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements