× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadNAS for Offsite Backup

Coupee36
Aspirant

ReadNAS for Offsite Backup

Hello All,

I am currently looking into ways on optimizng my recovery and disaster setup. I have two office. I would like to know what would be the best configuration for a simple backup plan with the advantage of replicating to an offsite location (second office). My servers and database is in one central office, but I would like to have the backup replicate to an offsite location, my second office as well.

I have briefly read the readynas product details, and love the cloud abilities but now I am wondering what your configuration/product suggestions are?

PS - I only use/create 100gig of new data per month.. not that large. Bandwidth is not an issue between both offices, and the replication I would like to have done during afterhours, 1am.
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadNAS for Offsite Backup

Assuming you have control over both networks...

One approach is to use VPN routers to connect the two networks, and then use frontview backup.

You can accomplish the same thing with rsync over ssh and port forwarding, but it is a bit tricker to set up, and it limited to NAS-NAS connections. The VPN router approach lets you access other network resources on the remote site.
Message 2 of 4
Coupee36
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Yes. I currently have a Site to Site VPN establish from both sites via a Sonicwall router.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Great. Then you should be able to back up over your existing VPN. Generally its good to do the first backup with NFS, then edit it, changing it to rsync.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements