× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reading X-RAID2 files

wresele
Aspirant

Reading X-RAID2 files

Hi,

I just want to share my findings here, because it took me some time to figure it out myself, and I could only find some useful hints in a very old discussion here:

A week ago, my ReadyNAS Duo V2 died because of a faulty power line. The disks (two 3TB in RAID1) were still ok.

I deperately wanted to access my files (at least verify what was on the NAS as compared to my other backups...), and read some dicussions here. What I understood so far is that basically the X-RAID2 is a linux mdadm RAID volume, and the filessystem used within (for the data partition) is extfs4. Despite some tips, and some tries, I unfortunately was not able to mount this volume on a booted Linux/Knoppix 7 distribution using mdadm - probably because I am a newbie to Linux. Some of the tips using mdadm really sounded easy but did not work for me - probably the settings for this X-RAID2 are somehow special?

So, my last solution was also a very comfortable one: using the recovery software R-Studio (http://www.data-recovery-software.net) I could make a scan of the data partition (it automatically recognized the mdadm RAID configuration) and then could see & select all files & folders for recovery. All this can be done in DEMO mode, not paying anything. Only when you then decide to extract/recover files, you need to buy this software. Very neat piece of software, though the process takes some time (I was using the software on a Mac, but R-Studio is available for both Mac & Windows)...

Just my experience with a dead ReadyNAS Duo 🙂

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3
md2212
Aspirant

Re: Reading X-RAID2 files

Hi,

have the same situation, but with 6 disk, have a Mac... did you use a SATA to USB ( like the thermaltake ) to connect your drive to your mac ?

I have experiance with R-Studio, never tought it could read X-Raid ( cause I never had the situation to dig on what it was base on... LOL . )

thanks for your post, show me there is light . 🙂

Message 2 of 3
wresele
Aspirant

Re: Reading X-RAID2 files

Yes, I used a normal external HDD case (SATA to USB) to connect the disk to the Mac.
But of course a RAID with 6 drives is quite a different and much more complex situtation as compared to mine (RAID1, just using one of the two disks for recovery).
At least you can try in it, without need to buy a license for R-Studio firsthand.
Wish you luck!

wolfgang

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements