× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reading backup to usb on Windows

rkrullaars
Aspirant

Reading backup to usb on Windows

I have a question about accessing the backup files which have been made from a ReadyNAS RN2100 to a usb disc.

This backup has created an extensionless file and a .conf file.

I would now like to read/recover the contents to a Windows pc/server though without using a ReadyNAS.

What software do I need to achieve this?

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Reading backup to usb on Windows

How is the USB disk formatted?

Message 2 of 7
rkrullaars
Aspirant

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for the quick reply. The disc is formatted in NTFS.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Why not directly attach the drive to the server (or a client PC if the server has no USB)?

Message 4 of 7
rkrullaars
Aspirant

Hello Stephen,

I have attached it directly to a pc, but now I have a backup file and I still don't know how to extract, unpack etc.

I need the contents of the backup but for instance 7zip just give me an access denied when I try do unpack or open it and since it has no extension I have no idea what the backup has created.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

How did you create this backup?

Message 6 of 7
rkrullaars
Aspirant

I've created the backup on the NAS itself and used the ISCSI lun as a source and the usb disk on the front port as a destination. (seems quite basic to me, but in seeing the responses here it feels like I'm the only one using it in this way :-S )

Allthough I am still curious as to how we can access the data from the backup file I have now been able to access the ISCI target from my pc and copy the files in this manner, so I'm not really in a rush any more.

Thanks again for the offered assistance.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements