× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready NAS NV+ RND4000 wont connect to internet

aaron123
Aspirant

Ready NAS NV+ RND4000 wont connect to internet

We just switch our modem connections and now the unit doesn't seem to connect to the internet. We originally had a Motorola modem only from AT&T and there was a cisco wireless router plugged into that. Then a cisco switch box into the wireless router. All our computers and ReadyNAS were plugged into the switch box. We had problems with the modem dropping internet, so AT&T sent us a new modem that is also our wireless router. The wireless router/modem is a Netgear 7550. The same switch box is plugged into the Netgear wireless router/modem. I had to go in and switch the IP address on the readynas because our old wireless router 192.168.0.xxx and the new one is 192.168.1.xxx. All the computer on the local network can access the readynas no problem. The remote access is not working. Also I can't update in frontview. When i click update I get a popup that says error connecting to remote server. When I go into the installed add ons and go into the remote access. A message comes up saying ReadyNAS Remote could not connect to ReadyNAS server, please check your internet connection and DNS settings. I even tried plugging the ReadyNAS directly into the neatgear modem/wireless router. I'm assuming I need to make a change in the wireless router settings or the netgear network settings but I'm not sure what to check/change.
Message 1 of 16
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Ready NAS NV+ RND4000 wont connect to internet

aaron123 wrote:
When I go into the installed add ons and go into the remote access. A message comes up saying ReadyNAS Remote could not connect to ReadyNAS server, please check your internet connection and DNS settings.

Have you check the DNS settings of your NAS? Try to set it to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4
Message 2 of 16
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Check you network settings, make sure that you have a correct default gateway set on the NAS.
Message 3 of 16
aaron123
Aspirant

I spoke with someone from AT&T, they gave me the correct domain server 1 and domain server 2 addresses. That allowed me to at least be able to see the latest updated. I can also look at the difference users I have given access to for the remote access. I just can see to be able to get the remote access to work. When I connect to readynas through the remote connection I get a blank window explorer box, no blue box like normal.
Message 4 of 16
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Try forwarding port 6300 to the IP of the NAS. Its what readynas remote is using, the new router might be strict.
Message 5 of 16
aaron123
Aspirant

How do I do that? I see an option in the readynas remote advanced setting to Specify Port for Incomming Connections, protocol is TCP and port is 6300. I don't see any option to specify the IP.
Message 6 of 16
aaron123
Aspirant

Also made another change, under services, and standard file protocol, the HTTPS had the SSL key host as 192.168.0.200, i changed it to 192.168.1.200 and clicked generate new key. Port 1 is grayed out but says 443. The port 2 is white, but blank.
Message 7 of 16
RX
Luminary
Luminary

aaron123 wrote:
How do I do that? I see an option in the readynas remote advanced setting to Specify Port for Incomming Connections, protocol is TCP and port is 6300. I don't see any option to specify the IP.

You will need to open (port forward) port 6300 on your existing router and point it to the local IP address of your NAS.

Since you mentioned that you have a Netgear router, check this link as your reference guide: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... terface%3F
Message 8 of 16
aaron123
Aspirant

I see how to do port forwarding on the netgear router; however, which service name do I pick? Once I get that set, do I need to make any changes to the netgear readynas NV+?
Message 9 of 16
RX
Luminary
Luminary

aaron123 wrote:
I see how to do port forwarding on the netgear router; however, which service name do I pick? Once I get that set, do I need to make any changes to the netgear readynas NV+?

As you read the steps on the link I have provided you, it says there on Step#3 to "Add Custom Service" - you will be the one to specify the service name.
Message 10 of 16
aaron123
Aspirant

In the netgear router, I did add a TCP port forward, i put 6300 in for Start Port, End Port, and LAN Port. I first tried selecting the LAN device, and also the IP address. On the remote added, I went into those settings and enabled the port forwarding to 6300. On the connection settings for my user profile for readynas remote, i have the port fordwarding to 6300 setup. I still dont get the blue folder, still can't access.
Message 11 of 16
RX
Luminary
Luminary

aaron123 wrote:
In the netgear router, I did add a TCP port forward, i put 6300 in for Start Port, End Port, and LAN Port. I first tried selecting the LAN device, and also the IP address. On the remote added, I went into those settings and enabled the port forwarding to 6300. On the connection settings for my user profile for readynas remote, i have the port fordwarding to 6300 setup. I still dont get the blue folder, still can't access.

To check if port 6300 is really open on your Netgear router, go to http://www.subnetonline.com/pages/netwo ... canner.php then enter 6300 on the "Enter Port to scan" field then check the small box and click "Scan Port." If it says "online/reachable" then it means that port 6300 is really opened on your Netgear router.
Message 12 of 16
aaron123
Aspirant

I still haven't been able to get this to work. When I was in the modem/router settings I noticed the LAN IP Address for the netgear is different than what the IP in the Netgear frontview. The LAN IP address changes for the netgear in the modem/router settings. Could this be causing the problem? We do not have a static IP address. We had a wireless cisco router before after a basic modem. If I configured that cisco router to the 192.168.1.1, and plug that into the back of the netgear modem/router, and the switch box into the cisco router, if that would make any difference?
Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

If you are port-forwarding then you need to reserve the NAS LAN address (or make it static). This is not the same as your WAN address (which is not under your control) - so you can make the LAN address static if you wish. However, reserving the address is generally better/more manageable.

Your Netgear router should let you reserve the NAS LAN address (at least all the new ones do). What model do you have?
Message 14 of 16
aaron123
Aspirant

The netgear router is a 7550.
Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

I think that one is only sold to ISPs (AT&T?) - so unfortunately there is no manual I can find. There is a forum post on Amazon saying that it does have address reservation
Upon further reseach, I found a way to simulate a static IP address for all my wireless devices, and for the past 2 weeks, all has been well. In my case, I have a Netgear 7550 router. By accessing the router, going to advanced wireless, connection configuration, configure static DHCP reservation, I was able to "assign" a local IP address...
You should be able to reserve an IP address for the NAS in a similar way.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements