× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyDLNA not working on Windows 7

Retired_Member
Not applicable

ReadyDLNA not working on Windows 7

This may have already been raised, however I've just purchased a RN316, it did an auto-firmware update to OS 6.1.8 but when I enabled ReadyDLNA, DLNA it doesn't seem to be working - not detecting the DLNA server. I enabled Plex to test, and that works fine, but I wanted to use ReadyDLNA not Plex.

I know its doing something, here is the http://192.168.*.*:8200/status/
----
ReadyDLNA status

Media library

Audio files 1859
Video files 73
Image files 2778

* Media scan in progress
Connected clients

ID Type IP Address HW Address
0 Generic DLNA 1.5 192.168.*.* **:**:**:**:**:**
1 Generic DLNA 1.5 192.168.*.* **:**:**:**:**:**
----

Could it be related to http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=76176 ?

It seems the ReadyDLNA Update Addon [Updated: 2014/04/29] fixed the Ultra 2 plus DLNA issue -a Multicast issue? Could this be the case with OS 6.1.8 as well?
Post by Skywalker (http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=27946)
» Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:57 am
Changes:
2014/04/29 [1.1.2.3]
Fix multicast issue.

I'm very new to this forum and Netgear NAS stuff, i don't know what RAIDiator is, nor do i have direct access to the NAS other than through the web-based GUI.
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyDLNA not working OS 6.1.8

What firmware did it update from (can check by downloading the logs and looking at initrd.log in the zip file)?

Have you waited for the first full scan to complete? Have you tried forcing a full rescan on the new firmware if DLNA was already enabled before the update?

If you haven't loaded much data yet you may wish to try backing up your data, doing a factory reset and restoring your data from backup. This would give a clean install of 6.1.8 since you have already updated to that.
Message 2 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: ReadyDLNA not working on Windows 7

It was 6.1.6 before and was empty. The scan completes and I can refresh the status page to see it updating as it goes, so the scan is picking up the media ok. 2xWindows 7 PC's aren't picking it up, I'll try VM Win XP and if i can find a decently free DLNA android app for the smartphone, i can try to test that too.
Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could check your router's settings too. If you connect your PC to your router via wireless normally, check and see if you connect your PC via ethernet to your router if ReadyDLNA works? If it still doesn't work you could also check if you connect the NAS to your PC directly via ethernet if ReadyDLNA works (note you would need to change your PC's NIC settings to use an I.P. such as 192.168.168.100, don't forget to change the setting back afterwards).

If the ReadyDLNA bug affects ReadyNAS OS 6 too hopefully Skywalker will get an update into a future build.
Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Good idea, but I can't really check a direct connection to the NAS, i think you need a cross-over cable for that? I doubt its the router since Plex works perfectly fine through this router via ETH and wirelessly. The Andrioid also works fine via the Wireless feature of the router, with 1 exception (see below). What is also strange is I get the NAS Network showing as a 1Gbps NIC and a 100Mbp NIC using 2 cabled 1Gbp PCI-E connections/PC's through a Gigabit router (or router + direct). Swapping them also produces strange results 100Mbps/100Mbps or 10Mbps/100Mbps, etc. if they're plugged in around the same time. I can only get the 1Gbps when i only have 1 cable plugged into the NAS.

Anyhow, ReadyDLNA is producing some very strange results

1) I can't access ReadyDLNA in Win7 on 2 machines (ultimate / home editions). I don't have Win 8 to test with and WinXP doesn't seem to support DLNA 😞
2) Turning ReadyDLNA on/off seems to behave correctly from my Andriod smartphone except,
- Slick UPnP App shows the DLNA with 2 full share folders + all their sub-folders, but 1 other share is missing all but 1 of its sub-folders (all 3 shares have DLNA enabled properly on the NAS) - this is replicated with BubbleUPnP app.

What's strange is that Plex Media Server: NAS works perfectly fine with exactly the same settings as ReadyDLNA on Windows 7 and smart phones using the same router (correctly lists all DLNA enabled shares and their subfolders, displays fine in Windows 7 Networks, using same router wirelessly or via ETH etc.). Not sure what Plex does differently but it displays like a proper Media Device on Windows 7 and opens in the relevant media player when clicked.

I may have to use Plex until ReadyDLNA is properly fixed 😞
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

You do not need a crossover cable to use direct Connect. The nas auto senses.

If your router doesn't support link aggregation you should only connect one cable.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements