× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyDR for iSCSI

bgade
Aspirant

ReadyDR for iSCSI

I have two ReadyNAS 628X devices - one on-site and one used for off-site backup.  I'm just setting up ReadyDR for this and data transfer is going well (albeit slowly since my upload is capped at 10Mbps). 

Does ReadyDR only replicate used space or the entire LUN size?  For example, I have a 5TB LUN with only about 200GB used on it.  When ReadyDR does its initial replication to the second device will it replicate the used space of 200GB or the entire LUN size of 5TB?  Additionally, when the next cycle runs will it back up the same size or only the delta between the last one?

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyDR for iSCSI

@bgade wrote:

Does ReadyDR only replicate used space or the entire LUN size?  For example, I have a 5TB LUN with only about 200GB used on it.  When ReadyDR does its initial replication to the second device will it replicate the used space of 200GB or the entire LUN size of 5TB?

As far as the NAS is concerned, the LUN is opaque block storage. So it will replicate the full LUN initially, and any changed data blocks in the LUN after that.  

If the LUN is thin, then of course size of the LUN on the disk will increase as more space is added (and as that space increases, the newly added space will be replicated).

Message 2 of 3
bgade
Aspirant

Re: ReadyDR for iSCSI

That makes sense.  The 5TB LUN is Thin and it shows consumed data is 201.2GB.  The ReadyDR job shows it has transferred 203.3GB so far.  The LUN has been active for about four months so I'm sure there's some extra space from turnover, so is there any way for me to see the actual LUN size versus the provisioned size?

I have another LUN that's Thin 10TB with 3.8TB used.  I'll want to seed that one since 3.8TB over 10Mbps will take an eternity.  I'm hoping I'll be able to fit the seed on a 4TB external drive but since I don't know how to see the actual size of the LUN I can't tell.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements