× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102 Remote Access

Sa9aX11
Guide

ReadyNAS 102 Remote Access

Hi

Do anyone know the port no. to access ReadyNAS device remotely?

What to use my ReadyNAS has a server so anyone can access my files, similar how you would see it locally on the web page. I tried to access (Port 80) from outside (different location) but it fails getting my ReadyNAS page (Files Area).

Sal.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 102 Remote Access

The port depends on the protocol you want to use - https and ftps being the ones I'd suggest.  If you want to stream media over the internet, then Plex is your best option.  In all these cases you can set the port number.

I don't recommend trying to enable smb or afp over the internet.

Overall, the most secure way to access your NAS remotely is to use a VPN of some kind.  ReadyCloud is built into your NAS.  OpenVPN is built into many routers (including Netgear Nighthawk and Orbi models).  ZeroTier is another VPN you could use, there is a third-party app available for it on the NAS.  For all these choices there are apps available for PCs (Macs and Windows) and mobile devices (Android and iOS).  These are mostly free, though in the case of plex there is a one-time charge for iOS and Android.

Can you give us some more information on how you want to access the NAS remotely?

That is:

• file access for yourself and perhaps family?
  • file access for others (not as trusted)?
  • remote administration for the NAS?
  • media streaming?

Message 2 of 11
Sa9aX11
Guide

Hi 

First of all HTTPS & HTTP doesn't work remotely, tried also port 443 remotelly I get nothing. FTP seems work ok remotely, that 

Plex (Premium) I tried that its only good for playing music but not for streaming movies I get always the message that my system is not powerful enough.

I am running:

WordPress - What is wordpress? Bulletin Board System? What Can I do?

Logitech Media Server - Audio Only server.

Subsonic & OwnCloud (v9.1.0) have the same problem, after you update it the app disappear and stops working, you stuck with an old version.

I want my NAS to be access outside (remotely) like a server so I or a friend can access and store files, play music & video.

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Sa9aX11 wrote:

I want my NAS to be access outside (remotely) like a server so I or a friend can access and store files, play music & video.

Ok.  There are risks there, since hackers also can gain access through the same protocols.  So you definitely want to use secure protocols and use strong passwords.  Also, you want to make sure you keep your firmware up to date, since most firmware releases include some security updates.  There have been posts here from folks who have had their ReadyNAS hijacked, so this is not a hypothetical risk.

One potential option is ZeroTier.  You can install it on the NAS, and also on the your own (and family/friend) devices.  You'd have the ability to add and drop those devices through ZeroTier's web interface.   This functions like a VPN, but the access is limited to your NAS, not your full home network.  All the services (SMB, AFP, etc) would be available remotely.  The normal NAS user accounts and file access controls could be used to limit the access of any friends.

And you could also try ReadyCloud.  

@Sa9aX11 wrote:

... FTP seems work ok remotely... 

Yes, but it's not secure.  The FTP server in your NAS supports FTPS, and you can configure it to require FTPS (ftp with explicit TLS).  Many FTP clients support FTPS, including WinSCP, Filezilla, and several apps for iOS and Android.

@Sa9aX11 wrote:

HTTPS & HTTP doesn't work remotely, tried also port 443 remotely I get nothing.

Again, HTTP isn't secure, so you shouldn't be setting that up for remote access (other than perhaps for public wordpress stuff).

If you have remote management enabled in your router, it might not actually forward 443 (even if it's in the port forwarding list).  Some ISPs also block those ports - you might want to check that with http://canyouseeme.org/

One option with https is to enable the secondary port number in the NAS settings.  Ideally the secondary port is in the range reserved for dynamic/private ports (49152-65535).  Then forward that in your router, and specify it in your URLs.  For instance, if you chose 54321 for the secondary port, you can reach the NAS with https://ddns-name:54321/admin

@Sa9aX11 wrote:

I tried that its only good for playing music but not for streaming movies I get always the message that my system is not powerful enough.

I have used the RN102 for streaming movies.  It's not able to do real-time transcoding, you'd need a more powerful NAS for that.  If your network connection isn't fast enough for direct-play, then you could still do some off-line conversion (creating a lower quality version of the movie that can be streamed over the internet).

Another scenario is that your plex client might not support for the audio or video format - that's another case where transcoding might be needed.  For instance, movies that use DTS audio.  Again, off-line transcoding is the only way around this with the RN102.

These aren't just plex issues - you'll run into these issues with any streaming platform.  

What is your ISP upload speed?

Message 4 of 11
Sa9aX11
Guide

I checked the ZeroTier site but I can't find the app that works on my NAS device, I looked at ZeroTier downloads I see no .deb versions, I checked out https://download.zerotier.com/debian/ and I see a few ending xxxx_armhf.deb that installs on my NAS Device but it doesn't appear on my NAS apps list, tried a few armhf on each directory it installs but nothing appears. 

ReadyCloud don't like it its confusing, you need to create a link to share the files, I don't want to do that.

FTP or FTPS I want to use on my browser, don't want to use a separate program.

AICloud Web uses port 443.

AiCloud content streaming uses port 8082 

As for my upload speed its 1-2Mbps its faster early in morning, my download speed 102 Mbps (Morning) & 40-60 Mbps (8 - 12.00am)

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Sa9aX11 wrote:

I checked the ZeroTier site but I can't find the app that works on my NAS device

https://github.com/NAStools/zerotierone/releases

@Sa9aX11 wrote: FTP or FTPS I want to use on my browser, don't want to use a separate program.

Bad idea.  Browsers don't support secure FTP.  It's safe if you are accessing via a VPN, but not over the open internet.  User names and passwords are sent as clear text with normal FTP, so hackers who can see the traffic can access your NAS using those credentials.  FTPS eliminates that vulnerability.

@Sa9aX11 wrote:

As for my upload speed its 1-2Mbps

That's enough for direct streaming of music and some SD video content, but not enough for anything else.  Typical 720p movies need 3-6 Mbps; 1080p videos often need 8 Mbps or more.

Options include 

• transcoding movies off-line to fit your internet bandwidth (probably keeping the higher quality versions for local viewing)
  • upgrading your internet service to get a faster upload
  • upgrading the NAS to a more powerful model that can do real-time transcoding
  • hosting the plex server on a PC that can do real-time transcoding, keeping the content on the NAS

@Sa9aX11 wrote:

AICloud Web uses port 443.

AiCloud content streaming uses port 8082 

You can only forward an internet port to one device.  If you are using 443 (and 8082) for AiCloud, then you can't use them with the ReadyNAS.  If you aren't using AiCloud, then the ports it needs aren't relevant.

FWIW, port 443 is the standard port for https.  Lots of stuff uses it - which isn't a problem when you are connecting outbound from your home network.  But inbound you can only forward port 443 to one device.  I told you how to overcome that in the previous posts.

Message 6 of 11
Sa9aX11
Guide

Zerotier-One they all failed to install tried nt1_ to nt3_armel.deb.

I switch off AICloud (443) & ReadyCloud don't like to use a link for a file.

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Sa9aX11 wrote:

Zerotier-One they all failed to install tried nt1_ to nt3_armel.deb.

What firmware are you running on the NAS?

@Sa9aX11 wrote:

I switch off AICloud (443) 

Are you saying that you don't have remote https access to the NAS when you've forwarded port 443 in your router with AICloud off?  

Message 8 of 11
Sa9aX11
Guide

ReadyNAS 102 Firmware: 6.9.3

No I switched off AiCloud off, I don't want to use it.

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Sa9aX11 wrote:

ReadyNAS 102 Firmware: 6.9.3

I suspect your installation issues are related to your first attempts to install ZeroTier.  If an install fails part-way through it can interfere with future installs.

I have an RN102 that doesn't have ZeroTier on it, if I have a chance I'll install it and post back on my results.

Message 10 of 11
Sa9aX11
Guide

I had same problems with a few apps, eg. Owncloud and Subsonic when I update the apps they disappear or stop working, maybe a need a cleanup, like backup everything, format or wipe and re-install the apps again. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements