× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 Missing Disk Space

mjsmith82
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104 Missing Disk Space

Hi, I have a Netgear ReadyNas 104, I have 2 volumes as Raid 0, its only for tv and movies so no backups required.
I have moved 997gb of data from one volume to another, but the available size of the first drive has not increased.
Can someone help me with this? If it is some sort of backup causing this, can I get rid of it and turn it off??
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 104 Missing Disk Space

What version of ReadyNAS OS are you running?

Are you using snapshots?

Snapshots and backups are not the same thing.

We don't recommend RAID-0. If a disk fails, you will lose all data on the RAID-0 volume(s) using that disk.

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 7
mjsmith82
Aspirant

Hi,

I have 6.2.0

I have no idea what Snapshots are, I am not that I.T savvy, friend help set this up so I could store TV Shows.
I don't suppose I need or want these snapshots, would just rather have the space.

I assume he set it up as RAID-0 because its only TV Shows, and I would rather have the space to store more shows, than a backup of the shows...
Unless there is a way to not use RAID-0 and still have it work without backups??

Thanks
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Snapshots are a bit like the windows recycle bin. When you moved the files to the other volume, the NAS deleted the originals after the copy. So they end up in the snapshot (just like they'd end up in the recycle bin/trash if you did this on a PC). So they aren't backups at all.

If you keep delete the TV shows after you watch them, then you probably should stop snapshots from being made automatically. If you keep the TV shows for the long term, then you might want to delete the snapshots you have now, but let the NAS make new ones. That would give you some protection from accidental deletion, and fix your space problem.

To stop new snapshots from being created , go into the web admin ui.
Select "shares", then click on the share the files were originally in.
Then choose settings.
Set the snapshot schedule to "never".

Then you can delete the snapshots you already made by
select "shares", then click on the share
then choose "recover"
You'll see a list of folders that are just dates.

Right click on each of the date folders, and select delete. (don't click recover button at the bottom!)
Message 4 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

mjsmith82 has deleted the copy of the data. So he will need to copy the data from a snapshot before deleting those.
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
mjsmith82 has deleted the copy of the data. So he will need to copy the data from a snapshot before deleting those.
I didn't see that on the thread... I thought he'd gotten the data safely to the other volume.
Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I was relating what was mentioned in a PM.

Looking at his logs his volume is close to 95% full, so he will need to be careful not to write to it or he will risk losing the files from the snapshot.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements