× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 214 Won't Delete Shares

wdolson
Guide

ReadyNAS 214 Won't Delete Shares

I've deleted shares before, but when I follow the instructions here

https://kb.netgear.com/23408/How-do-I-delete-snapshots-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

Right clicking on the shares I want to delete does nothing.  I tried both Firefox and Chrome with no luck.  If I make snapshots visible, then delete the snapshots in Windows Explorer, does that delete the files in the snapshot or just the snapshots?

My system is running firmware 6.6.1

Message 1 of 11
wdolson
Guide

Re: ReadyNAS 214 Won't Delete Shares

I was able to delete some, but I had to select multiple snapshots before the right click menu would come up and it only came up with one selection: Delete.  Nothing happens when I right click with only one selected.

Message 2 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello wdolson,

Please post some screenshots.

Regards,

Message 3 of 11
wdolson
Guide

I don't see how this will help, but here are some screen shots.  I also discovered the Refresh button on the System screen doesn't work either.

I call up this screen select a Snapshot and when I right clcik on it, nothing happens.  The cursor turns into a hand when hovering over the Snapshot.  If I select multiple Snapshots, a right click will bring up a menu with only the Delete selection.

2017-04-20_003.jpg

Message 4 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Do you want to delete shares or snapshots?  You've said you can't delete shares, then have gone to the place to delete snapshots.

You are correct that that method of deleting an individual snapshot does not work.  I don't know if it ever did.  You get to what should be the same menu by right-clicking on a share in the Shares tab and selecting "Recover".  But it works from there.  You will also see the option to delete the share itself when you right-click on the Shares tab.

Message 5 of 11
wdolson
Guide

Sorry, I mistyped share instead of snapshot in the original post.  The instructions you give in the link in the original post is wrong then.  The last time I deleted snapshots, I followed that procedure.  Has it been disabled in a recent version of the firmware?

I am not having problems deleting shares, the problem is deleting snapshots.

Message 6 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

No, my instructions are not wrong.  Did you try it?  Right-click on a share in the Share listing and choose "Recover".  It opens what looks like the same pop-up as using the "snapshots" button, but everything works on it.  I also said that you could also delete a share there if that was what you really meant (though it seemed like you didn't).

Message 7 of 11
wdolson
Guide

OK, you're right, that did work, but the interface is very confusing.

If you right click on a share and select Recover, it brings up the Snapshot screen and the right click menu works.  If you click on the Snapshot button in the upper right, you get the exact same screen, but the right click menu doesn't work.  I would call that a UI bug.

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@wdolson wrote:

I would call that a UI bug.

I think the concept of deleting snapshots from the recover screen is a UI bug.

Whenever I do it, I'm always worried I'll accidentally roll back to the snapshot I'm trying to delete.

Message 9 of 11
jak0lantash
Mentor

Personally, I dislike the X button in top right corner. Because all other pop-ups use a Close button at the bottom, not an X button in the corner. I think it's the only pop-up that does that.

Message 10 of 11
wdolson
Guide

I agree there too.  I didn't think to click on "Recover" when trying to delete snapshots because that was the opposite of what I wanted to do. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements