× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 316, crashing while transfering

RegalTech
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 316, crashing while transfering

Hi!

We have a Netgear ReadyNAS 316 with 5x 3TB in raid 5. I have an issue where I transfert my old backup on it, then the NAS crashes... We have big backupo files (like 500-600gb).

NAS Firmware is up to date to 6.9.2 (now there is 6.9.3)

Anyone already seen this?

By the way, I just saw that I have a drive that has reallocated sector count: 65. We will change this drive first, but I do not think it is the issue, as the first time it happened, drive was okay.

Thanks for any help

Model: RN31661D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 316, crashing while transfering

How full is the NAS data volume?  Do you have snapshots enabled?

Also, how you transfering the backups?

Message 2 of 8
RegalTech
Aspirant

Hi!

The Nas is connected by NFS on vSphere 5.5, then a VMDK has been created for the Backup (10tb volume, before, it was like 7.9TB)

The volume is almost empty now.

I have an external drive connected to my vmware server, shared to a VM, then transfering file onto the the VMDK.

No snapshot is enabled. Configured has flex-raid (using raid 5)

Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you checked smart_history.log to see when the reallocated sector count changed? You could find that it was increasing earlier than you thought.

Message 4 of 8
RegalTech
Aspirant

Hi!

I do not have this file. After a resync drive is green with 65 reallocated sector. I will change the disk anyway, and see...

if the NAS crashes again, I'll start new backup on it and see if big files crash the NAS..

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@RegalTech wrote:

I do not have this file.

Actually you do. Download the log zip from the admin web ui, it is one of the files inside the zip.

Message 6 of 8
RegalTech
Aspirant

ohh I see 🙂

since 2015, there is reallocated sector, the last one is 2017

I am willing to replace the disk anyway but that doesn't tells me why the NAS is crashing on big file copy. I will try to instead start a new backup sequences, hoping that it will not crash... We need the backup to be redundant, the external drive that we use right now is at 800gb left 😕

Message 7 of 8
RegalTech
Aspirant

By the way (Wasn't able to edit), file system is btrfs on the raid, I don't know if it can help..

I will drive to reduce the VMDK size to 6TB and see if it helps. I don't know if the NAS don't like 10TB file size..

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements