× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 316 not booting after OS reinstall?

ScottChapman
Apprentice

ReadyNAS 316 not booting after OS reinstall?

So, I had to do an OS re-install (system was a tad flakey).

However the device doesn't come up cleanly. It show an error on the front panel:

"cannot connect discovery server" and doesn't appear to get an IP address. RAIDar don't see it.

I think at this point I am screwed and will have to do a factory default. Any other ideas before I loose everything??
Message 1 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 316 not booting after OS reinstall?

Well you could contact support.

Or if you are willing maybe I could take a look.

I assume you have no backup? If this is the case, doing a factory default is a last resort and you should exhaust all other options first.
Message 2 of 24
ScottChapman
Apprentice

Yea, I'll try contacting support.

I have most everything backed up, but doing the factory default will be a ton of work.

What would be the process for giving you access exactly? It doesn't really seem to be able to get an IP address, so not sure what my access options are.
Message 3 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well to give support access you would have to put the NAS in tech support mode and there's a 5-digit ID (appears in Info - far right - column in RAIDar, and on NAS display) you can give them to help identify your system. Hopefully it will pickup an I.P. from your DHCP server when in that mode. If not, you might need an RMA.

For giving me access, it would be when the NAS is in that mode, but I would need your I.P. etc., port forwarded to port 23 on the NAS etc.

See the boot menu instructions: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23005
Message 4 of 24
ScottChapman
Apprentice

THanks, just sent you a PM with my contact info. GOing to cash in my chips for tonight, so maybe tomorrow we can take a gander (after I try support)
Message 5 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Support should be able to handle this (depending how busy they are the time taken before they can look at this may vary), but if I'm around I can take a look.

I think most likely you have an issue with your OS partition (it might be full), but the problem could be something else.
Message 6 of 24
ScottChapman
Apprentice

mdgm wrote:
Well to give support access you would have to put the NAS in tech support mode and there's a 5-digit ID (appears in Info - far right - column in RAIDar, and on NAS display) you can give them to help identify your system. Hopefully it will pickup an I.P. from your DHCP server when in that mode. If not, you might need an RMA.

For giving me access, it would be when the NAS is in that mode, but I would need your I.P. etc., port forwarded to port 23 on the NAS etc.

See the boot menu instructions: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23005

So, booted into tech support mode, it is showing the 5-digit code, but it is also showing 0.0.0.0 for the IP... I am thinking that's not good...
Message 7 of 24
ScottChapman
Apprentice

OOps, relocated the unit to be able to work on it better and was using a bad cable. all up in support mode with an IP and everything.

I'll PM you the info if you get some time. Thanks!
Message 8 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

The error message that you initially received means the unit cannot get an IP address by dhcp. There isn't anything intrinsically wrong with it.
I have experienced this every time I have need to factory default or do an OS reinstall.
The nas seems to start off using a subnet mask that is not 255.255.255.0 and therefore cannot get an IP address from most LAN dhcp servers.
I think I remember that I needed to set my PC subnet mask at 255.0.0.0 then I was able to see the unit in raidar and connect to change the network settings.
You may not need support.
Message 9 of 24
ScottChapman
Apprentice

Whoa you are right, I finally got it to get an IP address and it is now up!

I am having an issue with SMB browsing, but maybe I'll start a different thread for that.
Message 10 of 24
StephenB
Guru

DHCP uses broadcast packets, so the subnet mask shouldn't matter. The receiver is the router, and the only purpose of the subnet mask is to direct off-net traffic to the router. Also, DHCP is used to assign the subnet, so the protocol is defined so that it doesn't depend on a "starting subnet mask".

RAIDar also uses broadcast, so it should discover the NAS no matter what subnet you use (though there can be issues with wireless, because broadcast packets are sometimes dropped by the AP). Connecting to it via the web interface obviously does require a correct IP configuration in the NAS and the PC.

I'm not contradicting your experience, but perhaps the root cause isn't quite what you are thinking. You'd probably need a wireshark trace to really figure it out though, and it might not be worth the trouble.
Message 11 of 24
ScottChapman
Apprentice

Not sure, but it is up and running now, though samba is crashing all the time for me... posted here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=75014

I assume that since I did the OS re-install it isn't possible for it to revert back to what I had right?
Message 12 of 24
StephenB
Guru

You might need a factory reset to recover from the apt-get upgrade.

And you are right in thinking that you can't reverse an OS reinstall.
Message 13 of 24
ScottChapman
Apprentice

Yea, I'll probably just do a quick backup to USB drive of my data files and config and start that process... THanks!
Message 14 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

I thought it might have something too do with subnets because the IP address that was displayed by the NAS after it gave the error about the discovery server was not in the range covered by 255.255.255.0. Raidar and readycloud both did not see the NAS.
When I changed my PC network settings to a subnet of 255.0.0.0 then raidar could see the NAS, allowing me to access and change the network settings.
I also tested the NAS with the correct subnet and it picks up an address by dhcp no problem, effectively the only difference is the subnet setting.
Why do I need to set the subnet in dhcp if it's assigned by dhcp?

Agree this is probably not the root cause.
Message 15 of 24
StephenB
Guru

If DHCP fails, then the IP address ends up as 192.168.100.100. But that doesn't happen until after DHCP fails.
Message 16 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Yes that is the behaviour of my Ultra plus and nv+. The 316 comes up with the error message then sets an IP address that requires a subnet of 255.0.0.0. I can't remember exactly what it was, but definitely not 192.168.x.x
When I get a chance I'll do another OS reinstall and see what happens.
Message 17 of 24
StephenB
Guru

If you use dhcp, all you need to do is connect it directly to your PC, and then wait for dhcp to fail. No need to do the OS reinstall.
Message 18 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

I've investigated my dhcp problem a little. If dhcp is unavailable my 316 assigns itself 169.254.179.212 with a subnet of 255.255.0.0. Raidar does see it after about 1 minute.
The dhcp server on my LAN is working and assigning addresses, but it appears not to my 316. I activated another dhcp server on my LAN and the 316 gets an IP address without difficulty. The first dhcp server is on an access point on the LAN, the second which works is the gateway. No filters blocking the readynas MAC address.

StephenB was right that the subnet difference does not prevent access.

I normally use a static IP for the 316 hence not ever tried to sort out dhcp access.
Message 19 of 24
StephenB
Guru

I use address reservation, but haven't had any failures with dhcp.

It would be nice if the OS6 products failed over to the same static address as the other ReadyNAS.
Message 20 of 24
ScottChapman
Apprentice

Agreed. I think my problem was some network error, it picked up the right IP when I moved to a different port on my switch. Probably time to reboot that thing.
Message 21 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Figured out my problem, my access point dhcp server only allocates addresses to wireless clients.
Message 22 of 24
StephenB
Guru

Generally it works out better if you only have one dhcp server (e.g., the one in the router).b
Message 23 of 24
vandermerwe
Master

Yes I only have one active, the one on the access point. There are only a few clients that need dhcp assigned addresses and they're all wireless, so this was not a problem until I got the 316. I assumed that a dhcp server is a dhcp server and would assign to any client. This one only seems to serve wireless clients.
Now that I know this it's not really a problem, I may switch to the other dhcp server at some point.
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements