× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo. Today wont power on (was shutdown fine via Frontview) - options please?

disney_cjd
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo. Today wont power on (was shutdown fine via Frontview) - options please?

Dear all

As well as having the flu I am crying at the NAS.  I have an ReadyNAS Duo v1 from about 2012 ish I guess. It has 2 x 2TB drives at about 65 percent full.

My Zigor UPS died yesterday. So i have binned that. I moved the ReadyNAS plug to another socket and it was fine.  All worked well.  This morning I had to remove the UPS so I shut the office down, and shut the NAS via front view.  All well.  Replugged everything and now it will not start.  I have tried a different plug and have ordered a new 12v PSU from AMazon and I really hope it works as like you all my life is on there.

So my questions are please?

1) has this ever happened to any of you and will the new PSU fix it

2) if it doesnt do you know what I can do other than buy the same one again put the drives in (but I am guessing it will sync and delete

3) any idea how I can resuce the drives and data please of it will not turn on?

4) say its all dead - whats the best option for replacing...  I do not stream from it its just storage but I liked the redundancy of the drives.  Do I just use cloud?

5) any help gratefully received.

Thank you 
C

Message 1 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Duo. Today wont power on (was shutdown fine via Frontview) - options please?

Hello disney_cjd,

When you say it will not start, does that mean it does not completely boot up or it will not power on at all that there is no LED lighting up?

If there is an LED lighting up but the disk and power LEDs are flashing, check if RAIDar detects the NAS. If it does, it will show the status of the NAS and its LAN IP address. Power LED blinks when NAS does not completely boot up, it is either NAS is not able to get an IP address from the network or one or both disks are having some trouble. Both fault disks is possible which is why we always strongly recommend to backup your data, after all, it is not wise to store important data to just one storage.

The replacement you may purchase is RN10200 which more advanced than your Duo. However, you cannot simply insert the disk to the new chassis as the new chassis has a different OS. Your first goal here is to retrieve the data.

Let me know first the status of the NAS that shows on RAIDar. If that does not detect the NAS, hook up the NAS straight to the computer and let RAIDar detect it.

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
disney_cjd
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Duo. Today wont power on (was shutdown fine via Frontview) - options please?

Thank you.  Sorry, I should have been clear. It's not powering at all. So I press the power button and nothing. No power, no led. 

Message 3 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello disney_cjd,

Is this using a power brick? If so, check the power brick if its light is on. If it is just a simple power cable like the one we use with desktop computers, then try using another power cable to test.

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
disney_cjd
Aspirant

Thank you. It was the power brick!  So all working. NOw backing up and going to sell it....  Is there a palce on here we can sell?  

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@disney_cjd wrote:

Is there a place on here we can sell?  

There is no dedicated sub-forum for that anymore, but you could post the offer on this thread (or a new one with a link), and perhaps someone will PM you.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements