× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo V2 - How to erase old NV+ drives

convergent
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo V2 - How to erase old NV+ drives

I have an old Infrant vintage ReadyNAS NV+ that has dropped a power supply again. I think I want to just replace the unit, as I'm using it to backup another NAS and don't want to keep fussing with the power supply failing. I was running it with 3 x 2TB drives as JBOD. I am going to get a Duo V2 and move to 2 x 3TB drives, because I can sell the old 2TB drives and get some decent money for them on Ebay. My dilemma is that I want to wipe the drives before selling them and I have only Mac machines with 2.5" drives and no SATA enclosure to mount and erase the drives. I know it would take a long time, but can I put the drives into the new Duo V2 and erase/wipe them from a RAIDiator menu? If so, how do I go about doing it?
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Duo V2 - How to erase old NV+ drives

You could try doing a factory default with the disks you want to wipe installed: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu

It may not work though and come up with corrupt root due to the different RAID format.
Message 2 of 8
convergent
Aspirant

I decided to order a cheap SATA dock... should have bought one of these a long time ago. http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Docking- ... +sata+dock
Message 3 of 8
convergent
Aspirant

For anyone else trying to do this, I did discover that the ReadyNAS Duo V2 can in fact erase the old drives. I had to run it through Factory Default reset twice to get past the corrupt boot error, but then I was able to choose to erase the drives.
Message 4 of 8
Marto731
Aspirant

How to erase old NV+ drives

To Convergent,
Two points.
(a) You can contact support to replace NV+ v1 power supply.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=64431

(b) Warranty is void for Chassis & disks bought from Netgear resellers,
and then sold on eBay or 2nd hand.

Regards Marto
Message 5 of 8
convergent
Aspirant

I thought the warranty replacement was for machines less than 5 years old. My ReadyNAS NV+ is over 5 years old.
Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

convergent wrote:
I thought the warranty replacement was for machines less than 5 years old. My ReadyNAS NV+ is over 5 years old.
That is true, unless your NAS happened to be one that was shipped with a faulty PSU.

viewtopic.php?t=10259
yoh-dah wrote:
A small percentage of ReadyNAS NV (revision B) and NV+ owners with low-noise fanless power supply unit (PSU) may encounter a premature failure of the PSU due to elevated temperature. The ReadyNAS systems affected have Serial numbers between 000DA2010FFE and 000DA2016000. If you are unsure if your serial number falls within the hexadecimal range, you can use a hex calculator. (Click hex and overwrite the '0' with your serial number and click dec. If the number falls in the range of 58552553470 and 58552573952, then you should proceed with this service action.) Owners of ReadyNAS NV revision A who have replaced their original fan with the newer fanless PSU could be affected as well.

Though if Netgear already replaced your PSU, they likely wouldn't do it again.
Message 7 of 8
convergent
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
convergent wrote:

Though if Netgear already replaced your PSU, they likely wouldn't do it again.

I bought a ReadyNAS Duo V2 from a local store so I could get my backup going again, and today decided to give Netgear a call and see if they'd replace the power supply Much to my surprise, they RMA'd a replacement unit... the whole thing. That is amazing service. I can't think of another company that has ever replaced something this old. I will wait and see what arrives, but they said they were shipping a replacement with a label to return my unit.

I'm sure I'll find a use for it. I am kind of glad I got the Duo though, because its so quiet compared to the NV+. I also like the new software better. I'm just using it to backup another NAS box each night, so speed isn't really a concern. I decided to go with RAID 0 instead of JBOD. This Duo V2 is a nice little box for the money.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements