× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo admin UI for a USB disk: no filesystem

jarif
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo admin UI for a USB disk: no filesystem

It has worked OK for a year now, but suddenly now it says (after a reboot) that no filesystem for a USB disk (GoFlex 2TB).

I have root access to the NAS via ssh, and from there

• I can see the disk detected in dmesg output

• I can check the disk with fsck: no errors, clean

• I can mount the disk manually using mount to the assumed mount point /USB/GoFlex

• I can cp the data from the disk to another USB disk in order to save it if the GoFlex indeed is faulty and I will lose it

I see no I/O errors or any other errors regarding to USB or that disk, or any disk. Only problem is that frontview does not "see" it, says "No filesystem". The disk is of course then not published and shared by the NAS.

Has anyone seen this before?
Message 1 of 7
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Re: ReadyNAS Duo admin UI for a USB disk: no filesystem

Does the disk work fine when connected to a PC?
Message 2 of 7
jarif
Aspirant

Nhellie wrote:
Does the disk work fine when connected to a PC?

I have not tested that. My PC is currently in Windows mode, which does not work with it as it is formatted to ext3...

Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That is odd.

I would suggest backing up the data on the USB disk as the next step if you have not done so already.
Message 4 of 7
jarif
Aspirant

Well, as the picture I show says I'm backing it up to another USB drive in the NAS.. it is still doing that cp... 2TB in folder backup 😉

After that succeeds, I'm truing to re-format the disk using ext3 from the frontview, but I'm afraid that will fail too. But let us see...
Message 5 of 7
jarif
Aspirant

However. I might be in an "unpredictable and unsupported area" as I did this,

I have NOT edited any config files manually as in shell as root. But what I did: I installed a 4 TB LaCie USB disk to this, and I had to manually partition it to 2 x 2 TB partitions for NAS to recognize is correctly. After that the partitions were visible in fronview as LaCie_1 and LaCie_2. Everything worked fine and the older GoFlex was there too.

But now, something.
Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Duo v1 does not support GPT so it is limited to 2TB partitions. Not sure whether what you did would work well or not.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements