× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo (v1) won't boot...

drivie
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo (v1) won't boot...

Hello,

I have a ReadyNAS Duo v1 that is giving me grief. It contains a pair of Samsung 2TB drives and has worked flawlessly for several years. I had to power it down late last week due to an impending power outage. It powered off gracefully but upon attempting to power it up again, I only get a single flashing green light on the number "1" disk. If I pull the power plug, then reinsert it quickly, I get a fast blinking blue power LED. Either state will last indefinitely with the fan blowing at full. I cannot ping the NAS and RAIDar cannot see it. I have allowed it to run like this for more than a couple of hours and it was still inaccessible either via the web or RAIDar. The drives do spin up.

I have tried the following so far:

- Purchased a new power adapter/supply from Netgear (per a couple of posts in the forum indicating that this might be the issue).
- Removed and re-seated both drives.
- Removed one drive at a time and attempted power on with the same results.
- Removed and re-seated the RAM.
- Tried booting with the power button held down for 25 seconds to initiate a memory test but nothing changed and the test never ran.
- I'm currently checking both drives for errors using the ESTools utility from Samsung.

The behavior doesn't change whether the drives are installed or not so I think it could be a problem with the board or back plane but figured I'd ask here to see what the consensus is.

Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated!

PS - If I have to replace the entire NAS (no longer under warranty), can I move these drives to a higher capacity model? If so, does it have to be another SPARC model such as the NV+?

PPS - I've created a case with Netgear support. Case number is: 20896452
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo (v1) won't boot...

You could only migrate your disks/data to another v1 product. Given that it is now 2 generations behind, that is probably not the best path forward. I'd look at PC tools to let you copy off your current data, and start clean on a new model. For instance, you could try http://www.r-tt.com/data_recovery_linux/
Message 2 of 3
drivie
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Duo (v1) won't boot...

StephenB, thanks for the reply. I followed the link you posted and read through the thread. I ended up downloading and using the Linux Reader application for Windows and it worked perfectly. I was able to copy all of the data from my drive without issue including very large files. Now to find another NAS!
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements