× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo v1 wont restart after power down

dnallot
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo v1 wont restart after power down

Hi,

I was having a planned power outage today. So yesterday I powered down my ReadyNAS using the front button (hold till it flashes). I've done this several times before.

When I started the readyNAS today it failed to start properly. The power light (blue light) just flashes 3 times, there's a pause and the active light flashes, then the pattern repeats. The drive lights aren't lit at all. When I use Raidar it says "bad disks detected" - I'm skeptical about this as the unit has been running fine without any problems or warnings about the disks for over 3 years.

It also won't power off using the front button.

My questions are:
1) What's the best way to power the unit down now. Should I take out the disks first (hot swap) and then pull the power cord? Or should I pull the cord with the disks still in?
2) What is the best way to restart the unit. Disks in or out?

any help greatly appreciated
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v1 wont restart after power down

There's a blinking light decoder ring here: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=324

-Since it isn't booting, its fine to pull the plug first.

-It won't boot w/o disks - the operating system is on the disks. Try removing disk 1 with the unit powered down, and see if it boots with just disk 2.
Message 2 of 7
dnallot
Aspirant

If you don't mind me asking - why boot with disk 2 in and not disk 1?
Message 3 of 7
dnallot
Aspirant

I've tried using disk 2 only inserted and the unit has still failed to boot - should I now try it with only disk 1 fitted?
Message 4 of 7
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Yes you can also boot it with disk 1 only. Might as well check the HDD's health by using manufacturer's disk diagnostic tools (Seatools for Seagate and WD Lifeguard for Western digital), for you to figure out which disk caused the issue.
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

dnallot wrote:
If you don't mind me asking - why boot with disk 2 in and not disk 1?
Normally it will boot from disk 1. Since it didn't boot, it made sense to try it first w/o that disk. It makes sense to try it both ways though.

Also, try disk 1 with linux reader (windows PC program found here: http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/) That will read the data disk (but not the parity disk), and should let you recover your data.

A per-incident (paid) support request (support.netgear.com) is another option.
Message 6 of 7
dnallot
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you all so very much. The readynas booted from disk 1 - looks like disk 2 is the problem.

I've learned a very valuable lesson - thanks again.

Backup being created as we speak.

Best regards.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements