× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ suddenly goes completely read-only after a power-off

micksanders
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ suddenly goes completely read-only after a power-off

Latest firmware 4.1.16. After working fine for years, my CIFS share has suddenly gone read-only to everyone (including me the creator/owner). Same behaviour from Mac and Windows 10 clients. I even tried connecting as "admin" and still cannot delete or modify files. The same applies when I connect via SSH as "root". The files and folders have my ownership on them.

Also (see attached screenshot) I cannot change the share's owner or group, nor can set the ownership/perms for existing files. I can tick the box and change the user/group, but after clicking on "apply" after 10 seconds all settings revert to those shown.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ suddenly goes completely read-only after a power-off

@micksanders wrote:

Regarding partition fullness:

/dev/c/c             5802195264 1971065776 3831129488  34% /c

That is the data volume, not the OS partition.  The OS partition on your nas is only 2 GB.  You'll get a variety of odd behaviors when it gets close to full, and if you don't take care of it, at some point the NAS won't boot.

Try df // and df // -i

@micksanders wrote:

The NAS spins away for about 10 seconds then resets the tick box to empty.

Yes, and that is what it is designed to do.  That check box isn't really a state, it's a command.  When you click apply the command is accepted, and the check box is cleared.  Later on you'll get a popup (and a log entry) when the command completes.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@micksanders wrote:

Also (see attached screenshot) I cannot change the share's owner or group, nor can set the ownership/perms for existing files. I can tick the box and change the user/group, but after clicking on "apply" after 10 seconds all settings revert to those shown.

Normally you check the box next to  "set ownership and permission..." field and then click apply.

Did you look at the OS partition fullness with ssh?

Message 2 of 5
micksanders
Aspirant

Thank you for your response Stephen.

Yes I did tick the box then click "apply". The NAS spins away for about 10 seconds then resets the tick box to empty. Incidentally, the same thing happens if I try to change the share owner and/or group in the "Advanced" tab.

Further, after posting I did another reboot. After this I was able to delete one folder before the permissions issue started again. Shortly afterward the NAS stopped responding to everything (even Raidar). The lights were on but the front panel shutdown button no longer worked.

So I have hard-rebooted and things are back to the permissions problem!

Regards, M.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@micksanders wrote:

That is the data volume, not the OS partition.  The OS partition on your nas is only 2 GB.  You'll get a variety of odd behaviors when it gets close to full, and if you don't take care of it, at some point the NAS won't boot.

Try df // and df // -i

@micksanders wrote:

The NAS spins away for about 10 seconds then resets the tick box to empty.

Yes, and that is what it is designed to do.  That check box isn't really a state, it's a command.  When you click apply the command is accepted, and the check box is cleared.  Later on you'll get a popup (and a log entry) when the command completes.

Message 4 of 5
micksanders
Aspirant

The issue appears to be solved.

This time I rebooted and ticked both the scan options; the boot took most of the day, but the logs reported filesystem errors found and fixed. I note that several (but not all) "lost" folders have now been recovered.

As per your advice I ticked the "permissions" checkbox and waited until the log updated. Once again I can edit/delete files.

FYI, the OS filesystem space reports as follows:

Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on

/dev/hdc1             128000   12428  115572   10% /

Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/hdc1              2031872    505216   1526656  25% /

A question if I may: I note a "backups" folder in the OS FS; should I be periodically flushing this? Thanks again for your help.

Regards, M.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements