× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ v2 disk shuffling question

ReadyNAS NV+ v2 disk shuffling question

My NV+ has two volumes consisting of two disks each, I have just completed an upgrade of two 3TB disks to two 4TB disks, this is my C volume; now I would like to use the old 3TB disks to upgrade the D volume which consists of two 2TB disks.  Before I insert one of the 3TB disks I'd like to be sure that it won't try to sync the 3TB to the 2TB or something silly like that.  Do I need to quick-format or full-format the disks in a PC first?  What's the easiest and safe method of performing this upgrade using the two disks that just came out of the same NV+?  Thanks.

Model: RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v2 disk shuffling question

I don't own a v2, so I'm not sure what will happen (particularly in flexraid).  One thing you can do is unformat the drive before you insert it.

If you connect it to Windows, you can the disk manager.  Then select every "volume" on the disk (which are really partitions) and delete it.

Alternatively you can zero the disk with either Seagate's Seatools or WD's Lifeguard software.  Lifeguard has a "quick erase" test that will delete all the partition data on the drive.

Either way, the NAS will think the drive is blank.

Message 2 of 3

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v2 disk shuffling question

Sounds like a plan.  I have MiniTool Partition Wizard which I can use for blowing away partitions.

Model: RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements