× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ won't power on

MInDev
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ won't power on

Hello: about 6 months ago during an overnight thunderstorm I powered off my Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ (using Frontview -> Shutdown) and once it had switched off I disconnected it from its UPS and went back to sleep. When I returned to it in the morning it wouldn't power on. There are no signs of life at all, I've tried plugging it in, unplugging it again, plugging it back in, and holding down the front button for different durations - all to no effect.

There were a couple of previous occasions when I'd turned it off and it didn't immediately come back to life when I pressed the front power button - but mysteriously it did turn on by itself, say, 10 minutes later. Or one time when it refused to switch back on until I'd pressed the power button every day for 2 weeks - then it suddenly sprang back into life again.

I've survived without it for 6 months, but I know I'm living on borrowed time. I keep all of my important files on the NV+ (luckily I had copies of the files I really needed on my PC when this all first happened) and I had it running nightly backups to an external hard disk connected to the USB port on the back.

I can't know for certain, but I think the power supply must have failed. There are no bad smells or anything like that (my first generation 1 NV went out that way quite spectacularly some years ago), it seems to have died a quiet death - but perhaps the problem lies elsewhere?

Anyway, I need to know what my options are (assuming the problem is with the power supply). I can't seem to find a replacement PSU anywhere online. Is there any scope for rigging up a regular PC PSU? I remember some threads on this forum discussing this a while back, but it involved complicated rewiring. Otherwise, does anyone else know where I could source a replacement in the UK?

Alternatively, I'd be very glad to hear any suggestions for coaxing the unit back into operation - maybe there are some tricks I'm not aware of at the moment.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Message 1 of 17
vandermerwe
Master

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ won't power on

Have you read this?
viewtopic.php?t=10259

I'd contact Netgear support even if your unit is not eligible, they may be able to help you find one.
Message 2 of 17
MInDev
Aspirant

Hi vandermerwe, thanks for the reply. Yes - in fact, this was exactly what happened to my first Infrant ReadyNAS unit, which was RMA'd and I received my current NV+ to replace it. It's done sterling service until now, but I don't believe this is the cause of failure for this unit. It's lasted a reasonably long time (not regular PC PSU long, but it's given fair service) and it didn't die a fiery death (again, assuming the PSU *is* to blame).

Sorry, I should have mentioned too - I did get in touch with Netgear some time back, this is an except from the reply:

Based on the information you provided it is most likely a PSU failure but not 100% sure though. Usually if a PSU has failed we replace the whole chassis given that it is withing the warranty period. Your ReadyNAS however is not entitle for replacement since it has an expired hardware warranty. Also NETGEAR Inc. do not sell a separate PSU. I would recommend you purchase a PSU online. I found some post on Amazon UK selling NV+ and NV PSU.

Unfortunately I've not been able to find a supplier on Amazon though.
Message 3 of 17
vandermerwe
Master

Why don't you just buy a 104?
There is 1 supplier on amazon.co.uk, but there is no buyer feedback. For about 90 pounds more you could get a new disk less 104 from amazon.
Message 4 of 17
MInDev
Aspirant

Hi, thank you, something like that might be the solution. But I'm given to understand that - for various reasons - I wouldn't be able to take the disks out of my NV+ and plug them straight into a box like that and have them just 'work' (there are two 1-TB disks set-up in X-RAID configuration)? I seem to remember reading something along those lines when it came to comparing SPARC vs Intel units (I think). Is this accurate? Because it would be very convenient if I could do that.

It seems a shame to junk the existing chassis just because of a fault PSU though. It would be nice if I could bring it back to life somehow.
Message 5 of 17
StephenB
Guru

A few old threads that might help:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=60235#p404263
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13492
http://www.readynas.com/download/archiv ... pinout.pdf
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18694

I think there might be some others, but I don't have time to search more...

It might be simpler if you can live with keeping the ATX supply remains external - ugly, and harder to move, but it works around the problem of fitting a stock supply into the chassis.

Note I have not attempted to do this myself.
Message 6 of 17
hokieguy
Aspirant

Reviving this old thread as my NV has died this morning. No signs of life whatsoever. I can't check if it falls into the 'bad PSU' range because I don't know the serial #. No sticker on the back and since it's dead I can't check the MAC. :?

The most important thing - my data is safe on an additional backup.

I'm guessing my drives are probably OK. In order to check that, I need to run the disk utilities, correct? No sense trying to revive the NV if the disks are dead, I'll just move to something like the WD MyCloud (yes, I know it's not as capable as a full NAS).

Any suggestions on
1) a different way to check serial #
2) easy, affordable way to replace PSU (if that is the issue)

Edit: Was able to get the MAC from my router. Serial number translates to 58552555787 which appears to fall in the affected range. I've emailed Netgear support, will see what comes of it.

Thanks!
Message 7 of 17
Nhellie
Virtuoso

I don't see any other way on retrieving the MAC/Serial for the unit if it does not have sticker and/or no power. I believe your best bet is to find a compatible power supply for the unit, I'd check the marketplace for parts. I saw one from amazon for $120 (assuming your in the US). http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Spare-Pow ... B000W3X480

or

You can just purhcase the newer OS6 models. 🙂
Message 8 of 17
hokieguy
Aspirant

Thanks - I was able to get the serial # from my router interface. I'm not going to pay $120 for a replacement. If Netgear will not provide a free replacement (since this unit falls in the affected range) or at least sell me one at a reasonable price, I'll probably move on to a cheaper solution like the WD.
Message 9 of 17
Nhellie
Virtuoso

If it falls on the range of the affected PSU you should be given free replacement.
Message 10 of 17
hokieguy
Aspirant

After eventually getting escalated to Tier 2 support, they will be shipping me a new PSU free of charge. Tier 1 was not very helpful (asked if the light on the power brick was lit - there is no power brick!!) but happy to have this resolved. Thanks, Netgear. Hopefully this keeps my ReadyNAS chugging for another couple years!
Message 11 of 17
hokieguy
Aspirant

Well the good news is Netgear overnighted me a new power supply. Bad news is the NV is still dead. Fan doesn't spin, no lights come on, nothing. Any guesses? Main PC board just died? Or chances the replacement PSU is no good? Any way to test without electrocuting myself? 🙂
Message 12 of 17
hokieguy
Aspirant

Well, for anyone still reading this - I figured out my issue. I found this post in (of all places) the classified section of the forum:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=60235#p337936

I reset the battery as shown and afterwards the NV booted right up. Luckily I had only started wiping one of my 3 drives (in anticipation of selling them since I thought the NAS was dead). I managed to figure out which slots the two remaining drives went in, and the NAS is now doing a resync to get the 3rd drive back online as well.

Moral of the story: Search around before giving up entirely! Finding the above post saved me a couple hundred $.
Message 13 of 17
vandermerwe
Master

Do you have a NV or a NV+? The power timer issue I thought was confined to the NV.
Message 14 of 17
hokieguy
Aspirant

I have an NV. I just tacked my problem onto this thread which was originally about NV+.

Currently doing a file system check, I may have a drive problem but that's easy to fix and better than replacing the full NAS.
Message 15 of 17
vandermerwe
Master

Glad you sorted this out.
It is always better to start a new thread unless you have precisely the same problem and device as in an existing (and active) thread.
In your case it is probable that we would have suggested the CMOS reset procedure before you went for a new power supply - although it is certainly possible the power supply did need replacing.
Message 16 of 17
hokieguy
Aspirant

Thanks - point taken about a new thread. I may still need some assistance as the NAS doesn't seem to want to resync the 3rd drive. I'll start a new thread!
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements