× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NVX after Vol Expansion FSCK fails due bug 4.2.22?

redborough
Follower

ReadyNAS NVX after Vol Expansion FSCK fails due bug 4.2.22?

hardware:
Readynas NVX4000
OS RAIDiator 4.2.22
two SAMSUNG HD204UI [1863 GB] (checked with factory tools before insertion)
I have been using this system as good as flawlessly for around 2 years now.
+ two Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 [1863 GB] (checked with Seatools long check before insertion)

Around two weeks ago I expanded my Readynas NVX with these two brand new Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164. After each disk was added sequentially the expansion was complete and i had a 5,5 something TB. So far so good.
All seemed to be goin well until this week. I moved around several directories on the NAS and ironically while making some backups to external disks over my Gigabit Network/PC I got a few seemingly innocent reading errors on my NAS. I decided to run an offline Volume scan. The volume scan ended with an error,
Volume scan failed to run properly
Error storing directory block information (inode=60652993, block=0, num=2324545): Memory allocation failed
e2fsck: aborted
The mail with the error gave the whole log, a diarrhea of Inode errors. Retrying the Volume scan gave the same result, it ran for a few hours until around 30% and then suddenly crashed, posting a similar mail.
Still not alarmed I scheduled a RAID scrubbing. The RAID scrubbing finished normally.
This time I tried a new Volume File Check after reboot. I was not so lucky this time. Although the Volume scan hung at 69% it really hung this time. I waited for half a day and saw no change.
All I could do this time was switching the unit off. A second try gave the same result, so I had to get around the (now apparently forced) FSCK. I had to read a little bit in the procedure for the boot menu. Gosh this is clumsy. On again with the reset button (between the USB and two network connectors, both to be unplugged) on the back pressed with a paperclip while booting for lets say an "unspecified longer length of time" (needs at least 3 retries) until u can see the boot menu on the front LED display (yes on the other side) to come in the boot menu and choose for " skip volume scan" with the backup button (on the front) and clicking reset again (on the back,for an unspecified shorter length of time, at least 2 retries again with the paperclip). Piloting this reset and this boot menu is IMHO a nice example of : as long as everything is flawless, all is fine, until something goes wrong, you discover how clumsily some things are designed and constructed. Anyway.

I made a support case # 20646156 today but the problem sounds a lot like earlier posts under...
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69366
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68890

What is disappointing about this, is that apparently there have been issues in RAIDiator 4.2.22 that were apparently know to Netgear already for a while.
Considering the fact that expansion is a pretty basic process for a ReadyNAS I am wondering what other circumstances influenced this, or are there simply many quiet readers here also having the same problem OR do many users not always follow the upgrading process? I regret now that I m always upgrading when there is a new version since apparently some new releases are not error-free.

I dont expect much from the support case, I just wanted to add this information for the forum. Maybe it would be a good idea to withdraw the later RAIDiator versions if it is know now that they are buggy on a process so essential to the ReadyNAS as Volume Expansion. I see myself faced now with getting all my backups updated and a possible factory reset, downgrade to 4.2.19 etc. etc. and some days work for nothing again. As long as it works it's nice.
Message 1 of 2
ahpsi1
Tutor

Re: ReadyNAS NVX after Vol Expansion FSCK fails due bug 4.2.

+1

What is disappointing about this, is that apparently there have been issues in RAIDiator 4.2.22 that were apparently know to Netgear already for a while.

Maybe it would be a good idea to withdraw the later RAIDiator versions if it is know now that they are buggy on a process so essential to the ReadyNAS as Volume Expansion.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements