× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NVX -- has some issues

sdww
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NVX -- has some issues

I have a

Model:ReadyNAS NVX Business Edition [X-RAID2]
Firmware:RAIDiator 4.2.31 
Memory:1024 MB [6-6-6-24 DDR2]
Volume C:Online, X-RAID2, 4 disks, 61% of 8237 GB used
 5060 GB (61%) of 8237 GB used
Additional 100 GB reserved for snapshots

I can access via FrontView

It was working fine and then I stared getting errors trying to access files via CIFS share to a Windows-11 PC

I would start getting errors saying read-only file.  I'd reboot the PC and it worked for a day or so, and again the read-only error.  Then, it wouldn't even mount the share.

I looked in front-view and the CIFS protocol was disabled, and if I tried enabling the check mark would disappear immediately.  I connected an external USB drive, and it displayed, but I tried creating a backup job to copy thew media share, and it wouldn't create the job, would just say no jobs exist.

I noticed the date/time in front-view was from November 2015..  so I tried updating, and it just wouldn't change, but no error.  And now, the shares no longer show in front-view, but the users still do.  I tried deleting a couple users I don't need any longer, and they won't delete.  I cannot reboot the NAS using front-view, it takes the request but does nothing.

I read something about crashplan, and am wondering if that's relavent..  but I did not install crashplan that I am aware of.  What is the best sourse of action?  I am thinking either OS-reinstall or tech mode?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I saw mention in a post of someone making mention of mounting the disks on a linux host, and making changes to them, and then re-inserting into the NAS and that worked.  Any instructions on how that can be done..  like what controller was used and what drivers etc..  would be used to mount the volume.

Anyway, Thanks for any help

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
sdww
Aspirant

After guidance from StephanB I've been able to access the device in Tech Support mode.

There was a large file in /var/log that was had / at 100%

I've truncated that file ReadyNAS_Remote.log as it didn't appear to have any valuable content.

Now I'm at 16% utilized.

Mounted the /c volume

Mounted an external 8TB USB drive with

mount -t ntfs /dev/sf2 /USB

and now am copying off data using

cd /c/media

find . -print | cpio -pdv /USB

I haven't started the NAS in normal mode yet as the cpio is taking a VERY long time.

I guess USB 2.0 speeds aren't that fast

Once I restart in normal mode I'll report back

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

have you tried logging into frontview and then downloading the full log zip file?

Message 2 of 7
sdww
Aspirant

It says the logs are empty, even though I did not empty them and there was a reboot entry prior to this problem starting

When I click on download all log files I get a page that says "Empty No Support" and

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

@Ashbeel121 obviously has no knowledge of ReadyNAS and is only here SPAMming for that site he linked.

Your assorted array of issues is consistent with a too-full OS partition, though it could be something else.  That's usually due to some app (with crashplan maybe being one of them), but can also be caused by other things.  Have you enabled SSH?  At this point, it's probably not possible to do it, just as you can't make other configuration changes.  So if you haven't, then you'll likely have to go in via Support Mode to see if you can see if that is the issue and delete some junk files if it is.  Otherwise, go in via SSH and see how full the OS partition is.

Message 4 of 7
sdww
Aspirant

After guidance from StephanB I've been able to access the device in Tech Support mode.

There was a large file in /var/log that was had / at 100%

I've truncated that file ReadyNAS_Remote.log as it didn't appear to have any valuable content.

Now I'm at 16% utilized.

Mounted the /c volume

Mounted an external 8TB USB drive with

mount -t ntfs /dev/sf2 /USB

and now am copying off data using

cd /c/media

find . -print | cpio -pdv /USB

I haven't started the NAS in normal mode yet as the cpio is taking a VERY long time.

I guess USB 2.0 speeds aren't that fast

Once I restart in normal mode I'll report back

Message 5 of 7
sdww
Aspirant

So, after several days waiting for the cpio to complete copying approximately 7TB of data to the external USB drive the NVX is back up in normal mode and connectivity is restores.

I had to re-enable CIFS sharing, and lost a few minor configuration settings, like backup schedules.

I've removed ReadyNAS Remote which will hopefully eliminate that from filling up the system volume again.

And to re-cap what I did to recover....

Connected a external USB drive to the front USB port on the NVX

In my case it was a" Seagate Backup Plus Hub" 8TB drive formatted as NTFS

Booted the NVX in Tech Support mode..

In my case the ReadyNAS came up and did not get an IP Address from my DHCP Server.

I used the RAIDAR app to determine the device had the IP Address 192.168.168.168 which is not in my local subnet 192.168.0.0/22.  I happen to have a DEBIAN host acting as a local DNS server, and I added an alias IP Address (192.168.168.1).to the network interface on that server so I could use it as a jump host to telnet to the ReadyNAS.

After telneting to the ReadyNAS (login root  password: infr8ntdebug) I ran the following commands (as provided by StephanB)

I used df -k to determine the root file system was 100% so, I used du to determine where the largest target was for disk usage.

cd /

du -ks *

Turned out to be /var had the most use, so then

cd /var

du -ks *

And now the target was /var/log.  I found a very large file for ReadyNASRemote.log that I truncated. Now the root file system was around 20% I probably could have just re-started the system and been good, but I decided since I was here, and I hadn't backed up the data for a couple months let's be safe. So I proceeded with the following steps/

start_raid.sh

mount /dev/md0 /sysmount --bind /proc /sysroot/proc
mount --bind /dev /sysroot/dev
mount --bind /dev/pts /sysroot/dev/pts
mount --bind /sys /sysroot/sys
chroot /sysroot /bin/bashroot

vgscan
vgchange -a y
mount /dev/c/c /c

I used fdisk to determined the external drive was /dev/sdf and that the partition of the NTFS file system was /dev/sdf2

So, I used the following command to mount the external file system

mount -t ntfs /dev/sdf2  /USB

I then created a folder on the external drive to hold a copy of the data on the NAS RAID

mkdir /USB/2024FEB28

I then made the RAID share I was interested in saving a copy of my current directory

and started copying the contents to the external drive

cd /c/media

find . -print | cpio -pdv /USB/2024FEB28

It took several days to complete the copy..  I believe it's due to the external USB drive being connected via USB 2.0

I hope this information might help someone in the future.  If not, it was a exercise I hope I don't have to repeat again, but a lesson worth learning.

Thanks to StephanB and everyone else who attempted to assist

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Great to hear that everything is now resolved.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements