× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro 6 Still Stuck at "Booting" after Replacing Power Supply

P3Animal
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro 6 Still Stuck at "Booting" after Replacing Power Supply

Hi everyone, I'll try to be as brief as possible. 
I've spent hours scouring this forum, and I'm also well aware that there's a lot I haven't tried for my issue, because I'm nervous about doing something that could wipe my data.

We have 6 2TB Western Digital disks on there and a lot of data. My father then passed away, and I have not had the ability to  work on the drive until now. TWO separate backups of the data have since been wiped by an individual and a cloud management company, so my hope is that my data is still recoverable, and the reason that I would love some help if you can offer it specifically to my situation. People like @Sandshark and @StephenB have provided lots of great information.

The issue:

In 2020 there was a power outage and our RNDP6000 stopped working. It sees all 6 disks and then gets stuck on "Booting..." and is undetectable on RAIDar.

What I've done so far:

- I ran a memory diagnostic and it ran through twice with no errors.

- Last week I removed a PSU from an old PC and tried that. Oddly, the NAS blue power light would faintly blink and would not start with that PSU. I replaced the BIOS battery as well as the PSU with another old computer's PSU. I had success for the first time in two years: I saw a number percentage on the "Booting" front panel, and the NAS showed up on RAIDar. Unfortunately, while it was checking the firmware version in RAIDar, it then disappeared from RAIDar and dropped offline again.

I want to check the individual disks for errors, but I have to go out today and get a SATA to USB dock in order to test them. I also read that it might be dangerous to run the NAS with drives removed?

I'm quite good at following technical instructions, however this area is not my expertise, and am more risk-avoidant because of not wanting to screw up somehow.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Isaac

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 Still Stuck at "Booting" after Replacing Power Supply

Do you know if the system was converted to run OS 6 firmware?  If not, I'll assume it is running 4.2.x.

@P3Animal wrote:

I want to check the individual disks for errors, but I have to go out today and get a SATA to USB dock in order to test them. I also read that it might be dangerous to run the NAS with drives removed?

Power down the NAS before you remove the disks.  Label them by slot as you remove them, so you can return them to the same slot.

Window won't recognize the file format, but WD's Dashboard software will find and can test the drives.  Run the long test.

@P3Animal wrote:

TWO separate backups of the data have since been wiped by an individual and a cloud management company, so my hope is that my data is still recoverable

One option (though it would cost) is to contract with Netgear for their data recovery service.  https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service 

If you were to get an USB enclosure that can hold all six disks, you could also try RAID recovery software yourself (for instance https://www.r-studio.com/ for 4.2.x software )

Message 2 of 5
P3Animal
Aspirant

Hi @StephenB , thanks for the response.

I believe the system is running 4.2.x

So far I've tested 3 of the 6 drives, however WD tools are not able to run fully on any of them. The scan stops abruptyl and the error message says "too many bad sectors." This doesn't bode well, but I will test the remaining 3 drives.

I researched and found this link:
https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/149912-raid-recovery-using-r-studio

Do you think it would be possible if I followed these instrutions? Also, what would have been my RAID configuration with 6 drives? The IT guy they hired originally setup the NAS. Would it be a RAID-5?

Do you think there would be any way to get access to the NAS if the OS was upgraded to OS 6 firmware?

In your experience, what is going on? How is it possible that (possibly) all 6 drives are corrupt?

Thanks again for your help. 

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@P3Animal wrote:

Also, what would have been my RAID configuration with 6 drives? The IT guy they hired originally setup the NAS. Would it be a RAID-5?

Likely yes.  The default is XRAID, and it would be single-redundancy with 6 bays (e.g. RAID-5).

@P3Animal wrote:

So far I've tested 3 of the 6 drives, however WD tools are not able to run fully on any of them. The scan stops abruptyl and the error message says "too many bad sectors." This doesn't bode well, but I will test the remaining 3 drives.

In your experience, what is going on? How is it possible that (possibly) all 6 drives are corrupt?

I agree that is not good news.  But if you are using a USB adapter/dock, then it is possible that something is off with the dock - poor connection to the drive, insufficient power, or something similar.  Perhaps take a close look at that.

It does seem unlikely that all the drives have too many bad sectors.

@P3Animal wrote:

Do you think there would be any way to get access to the NAS if the OS was upgraded to OS 6 firmware?

You would need more expensive RAID recovery software - something that supports BTRFS file systems.  ReclaiMe is one package that several folks here have used with OS-6.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

If the dock is by Saberent, I've had lots of problems with them.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements