× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN104 lost both of the needed passwords

RoyEsmonde
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN104 lost both of the needed passwords

My Netgear ReadyNAS RN104 just lost both of the password methods I depended on for logins.  I now cannot login or even get Netgear to email me a password reset option.  My login information is correct.

My ReadyNAS is attached to my home wired network and today I logged into it and updated to the latest firmware.  Everything seemed to go fine but I was having difficulty accessing some of my NAS folders from my iMac running macOS Catalina.

My attempts to connect seemed to cause some login issues and I got an option to reset to my ReadyNAS default username/password by using the reset button on the back of the ReadyNAS.  I did that and it worked fine.  I then changed the password for the default ‘admin’ login.  I did some more updating inc the Plex Media Server.  Somewhere along the way I was offered the option to set up how I could reset my password.  Instead of leaving it at the ‘hardware reset’ which I’d used successfully I opted to have Netgear email me - big mistake!   I had to put in a security question and the answer.  I did this and also captured a screen grab before I proceeded with that option.

Now I can neither login with my ‘admin’ username and my updated password or use the option to have Netgear email me a password.  The latter is filled in by me exactly as in my screen grab but Netgear rejects it.  It also will not accept my changed ‘admin’ password.  I keep trying them and even some earlier passwords until I eventually reach a limit in the number of attempts and have to wait 5 minutes to try again.  I’ve tried everything including rebooting my iMac and my Netgear ReadyNAS without success.  I can still access my ReadyNAS using ReadyCloud from my iOS device and I can access all the files.

I understand that I can reset the admin password to the default by reinstalling the ReadyNAS OS but would rather not take this route.  Does anyone have any suggestions on an alternative approach that might work?

Thanks!

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RN104 lost both of the needed passwords

@RoyEsmonde wrote:

I understand that I can reset the admin password to the default by reinstalling the ReadyNAS OS but would rather not take this route. 

I think that's the safest way.

There is a method outlined here - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Ready-Cloud-lost-Admin-Password-Rec...  The details are for 4.2.31 software, but there is a post in the linked thread from someone who claimed to use it with 6.10.1 firmware.  While you could potentially try it, I don't recommend doing that unless the OS reinstall fails.

Message 2 of 3
RoyEsmonde
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS RN104 lost both of the needed passwords

Thank you very much StephenB for taking the time to reply.  My apologies for this delayed response, but I'm afraid I got caught up in some urgent work and had to put my NAS issues aside.

I'll have a go at your suggestions and see how things go.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements