× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RND4000 NIC failure can I recover data

Levisvv
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RND4000 NIC failure can I recover data

I have an old RND4000 with 4 drives in it (3 RND4000's actually).

The PS died on one of them and the NIC died on another.

I moved the PS to teh one with the good NIC, so I have 1 fixed OK, but now I have another with a bad PS and a dead NIC. There are 4 1TB drives in it and I cannot recall if they were set to RAID5, RAID6 or RAIDX (I know for sure it is one of these though).

If I moved the 4 drives to a newer model, will it be able to detect the RAID configuration & recover so I do not lose what is on these drives?

ANy recomendation on which newer model NAS to use?

Model: RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+ v1)|READYNAS NV+ v1 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 7
microchip8
Master

Re: ReadyNAS RND4000 NIC failure can I recover data

Message 2 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

There is a way, with Netgear's help, to mount the drives in a new model NAS and recover the data.  But you can't just leave it that way and use it.  You have to copy the data to another device, reset the NAS to factory default, and then restore the data.  If I followed your story right, you still have one NV+ that works, so it would be a lot easier to put the drives in that NAS and do recovery that way.  If you are using new drives in the new NAS, then backup jobs on the new NAS from the old would work well for that.  If you are copying to an intermediary USB device, connect it to a computer that's on hardwired LAN and copy that way, as the NV/Duo V1 line have notoriously slow USB ports.

Message 3 of 7
Levisvv
Aspirant

Yes I though of putting the drives in the other "working" NV+ b ut my main concern is: if that one is currently set to RAID5 and the other drives were XRAID will they be detected and properly read in the working NV+?

Or do I risk corrupting those drives completly because the NV+ will try to mount the drives incorrectly?

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Levisvv wrote:

If I moved the 4 drives to a newer model, will it be able to detect the RAID configuration & recover so I do not lose what is on these drives?

No. So if you want to move the data to a new model, you'll need to off-load it to other storage.

Tech support could mount the array temporarily if you get an OS-6 NAS, but I believe they would charge.  Then you'd need to offload the data, and set up the new NAS (which uses different firmware and a different file system).  https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

If you can connect the drives to a PC (using a USB adapter/dock) you could also use RAID recovery software to access the data.  For instance, R-studio. https://www.r-studio.com/

@Levisvv wrote:

The PS died on one of them and the NIC died on another.

Why not just power down one of the working NAS, and temporarily move the drives to it (maintaining the slot order)?  Then just power up the working NAS.  The configuration is on the disks.  The only caveat here is that if the firmware is different on the three NAS, then the boot process will attempt to install whatever firmware is in the flash onto the drives.  So if there's a chance that the NAS have different firmware versions, you'd need to update the firmware to the newest version (4.1.16).

I suggest labeling the drives as you remove them, just to make sure you don't mix anything up.

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

There is no risk moving the drives between units of the same type, done with power off, of course, because everything is stored on the drives.  There is absolutely nothing regarding your configuration in flash memory.  All that is there are a very small boot section, a copy of an un-initialized OS from which it can create or restore one on the drives, and the model number and serial number data.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

There is no risk moving the drives between units of the same type,

One caveat is that there can be issues if the target unit has much older firmware in it's flash, as the NV+ will then attempt to downgrade the OS on the disks - which could fail if the firmware is very old.

@Levisvv's systems are likely to be running the same firmware, though this could come into play if he purchases a used model as a replacement.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements