× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Shutting Down

daveevans
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Shutting Down

I was on v4.19 and I noticed that at times my drive fan would increase fan RPMs and the disk lights would go out and I could not connect anymore (still powered on). Started happening more frequently. Was able to update to v4.2.20 and found that it is still doing the same thing and nothing in the logs about what was causing it. Decided to watch what was happening and it seems that when the volume sync gets to about 5% it happens; lights go out, fan RPMs go up, and cannot connect anymore. Please help, this is frustrating! Setup with two Seagate ST31000528AS drives as X-RAID2, and only 42% full.
Message 1 of 8
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Shutting Down

The hard drives that you are using don't appear to be from the HCL.

I would recommend trying with drives that are compatible with the system that you are using.
Message 2 of 8
daveevans
Aspirant

They were on the list when I bought them? I have had these in the system for close to a year now with no problems until recently with no changes to the system on my part.
Message 3 of 8
daveevans
Aspirant

Okay, so I am a little concerned about he HCL. As mentioned above, my drives were listed as being compatible with the Ultra2 and I do not see them on that list anymore?? Does this thing change based on firmware versions or longterm testing at all??
Message 4 of 8
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

I would suggest that you create a support case, so that the issue is handled appropriately. If you don't have a contract, then you can achieve assistance at www.readynas.com/support by opening an online support ticket.
Message 5 of 8
daveevans
Aspirant

Could temperature have anything to do with it? Is there a certain point that if the drives/system get too hot that it would act this way? Thanks for the support.
Message 6 of 8
daveevans76
Aspirant

Arrrrggghhhh...just opened a case. So frustrating! The drive lights on the front are active recognizing the drives but had to boot the box up four times for that to happen. Most times, the device would power back up and the fan sounded like an airplane taking off and it never spooled back down. Had to keep powering it on and off. Has been working fine for the past year and now this!!??
Message 7 of 8
daveevans76
Aspirant

UPDATE: I opened a ticket online and it turns out that the issues are with the chassis and not the disks. They are replacing the unit as it is still under warranty. The only negative feedback I have on the entire process is that my original support tech went out and I was then assisted by two other techs in his absence. The third tech came to the conclusion that it was the HDDs (even though once supported) and to buy new ones off the HCL, which I did. The day I received the new drives I also received a post from the original tech who then stated, after he reviewed the entire case, it was an issue with the unit itself. So it seems that the new HDDs were not needed in the end. With that being said, it was a little frustrating to receive the different opinions but I am getting a replacement unit. Overall, pretty happy with the level of support offered.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements