× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 - corrupt root issue - which boot menu?

lbeuchat
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 - corrupt root issue - which boot menu?

Hi,

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 which is about 4 years old. I have getting the "corrupt root" issue.

Which boot menu would I use to try ot diagnose/resolve this:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21100

Thanks

Luke

Model: ReadyNASRNDU2220|ReadyNAS Ultra 2
Message 1 of 20
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 - corrupt root issue - which boot menu?

Hello lbeuchat,

How many disks are inserted? Corrupt Root has various causes, it could be a problem with the chassis, hard disks, or with the operating system. But most of the time the disks.

Please get to boot menu then use Skip Volume check. Once it is ready and shows ready on RAIDar, access the shares and FrontView.

Backup the files as much as possible. Then check the logs for Reallocated Sectors, Pending errors and ATA. 

See these articles:

ReadyNAS: Reallocated sector errors increasing on disk(s)

ATA errors increasing on disk(s) in ReadyNAS

Please note you are using a ReadyNAS OS4 unit, unless you have loaded an OS6 FW.

Regards,

Message 2 of 20
lbeuchat
Aspirant

Thanks JennC.

There are 2 disks inserted. The Raidar software indicates green lights for both disks - see below:

Raidar

Should I follow the same boot method as you have indicated - "Skip Volume Check"?

Thanks

Message 3 of 20
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi lbeuchat,

The Skip volume check will give you temporary access to your files if your device responds properly. If the device will get stuck at booting phase or  gives you the same 'corrupt root' error, it would be best if you will contact  our support team to get help in getting your unit back online.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 20
lbeuchat
Aspirant

Great thanks Brian.

Once I have recovered all my data externally would I then proceed to do a full Factory Reset boot?

Or do I need to replace the disks?

Thanks

Luke

Message 5 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@lbeuchat wrote:

Or do I need to replace the disks?

There's no way to answer that w/o having more information - in particular the disk model, the smart info, and perhaps the results of the drive manufacturer diags.

Message 6 of 20
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi lbeuchat,

Hopefully, you will be able to access and backup your files in no time. With regard to your next move or action, it would be better if you can try what StephenB have suggested for us to know the status or health of each drive that is in your system. Check this ReadyNAS page for further instruction.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 20
lbeuchat
Aspirant

Hi,

As discussed I tried to access the Boot Menu by Powering on and holding down the Reset Button. However I could not get all four lights to illuminate - Power button LED, USB and backup status LED, disk 1 LED, and disk 2 LED. So I could not cycle through the Boot menu.

Now when I re-boot the NAS I get the following screen in RAIDar:

Only the Disk 2 light is up on the machine and one green light above. Previously I had two green lights and the disk and the Message "corrupt root".

What should I do next to retrieve my data?

I was running the NAS as a RAID so all the data on Disk 1 should also be on Disk 2.

Thanks

Luke

Message 8 of 20
omicron_persei8
Luminary

"Click setup", that's not good. That's what RAIDar shows during the Factory Default setup...

Message 9 of 20
lbeuchat
Aspirant

HI,

I did not click the Backup button and hence did not scroll through the Boot Menu Options.

The only light that was illuminated when I held in the Reset button was the power button. This indicates a Normal Boot.

The Messages in Raidar did suggest something like an OS Install.

If someone can advise what to do next that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Luke

Message 10 of 20
StephenB
Guru

What do you see when you enter https://192.169.0.9/admin in your web browser?  

If you get a logon prompt, use admin for the username.  The password could be either your original admin password or "netgear1", depending on exactly what you did.

Message 11 of 20
lbeuchat
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

When I navigate to https://192.169.0.9/admin it says the page can not be loaded.

What should I do next? Try to boot menu again?

Luke

Message 12 of 20
StephenB
Guru

I would power down (and perhaps disconnect the power cord for a bit) and then start up again.

If you see the original symptom of corrupt root, then try powering down again and removing drive 1.

Message 13 of 20
lbeuchat
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Yes you were right. I powered down, remved the cord overnight and powered up again.

I am back at the same issue - "corrupt root" message in Raidar.

Raidar shows two green lights for both disks as well.

What do you suggest now? Should I try to access the boot menu again?

I have about 1.5TBs of data on there that I absolutely don't want to lose.

Thanks

Luke

Message 14 of 20
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi lbeuchat,

If that's the case, it would be better if you will contact our support team for data recovery. This process will cost you money but we don't guarantee its success.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 20
lbeuchat
Aspirant

Ok thanks Brian,

What phone number do I contact in Australia?

Luke

Message 16 of 20
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello lbeuchat,

Please get to http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx?cid=gwmng then you will need to key in the serial number of your product to see which support channels you will be able to get.

Regards,

Message 17 of 20
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi lbeuchat,

It's been days since we last heard or seen a post from you. Have you reached our support center to get some help or opinion about your problem?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 18 of 20
lbeuchat
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

Yes I logged a Support Request with Case Number - 27018930.

I called the Support Center today but they couldn't locate my Case Number! So they logged another case number for me - 27029089.

They said they I need to be in front of my device for Tech Support to be able to help me. Apparently Tech Support will want to try to get the ReadyNAS to boot in Tech Support Mode. Although I told them I could not get the device to even start with the boot menu. I explained I following the instructions here:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21100/~/how-do-i-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-readynas-u...,

But all the lights never came on so I could not cycle through the Boot Menu.

Nevertheless I am infront of the device tonight so I will try to open and Online Chat with someone from Tech Support.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Luke

Message 19 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you can't get into the Boot Menu with no HDDs, you can try to remove the HDDs, boot into Tech Support Mode and reinsert the HDDs afterwards.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements