× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 >4TB?

utdrmac
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 >4TB?

Hello,
I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 using the new (hacked) 6.2.2 OS. When I got the devices years ago, it said 4TB was the max capacity it would support. I assumed this was related to the size of drives available at the time and the lower OS support.

Now that larger drives are available and cheap (6TB WD Green for $250 @ Amazon) and I'm running an up-to-date OS, does my system support >4TB now?

Right now I have 2 3TB drives, in RAID1, giving me about 2.7TB of usable space. I wanted to confirm, at minimum, I can put 2 4TB drives in this system. What about larger drives?
Message 1 of 5
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 >4TB?

If this is on OS6, there should be no expansion limit.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... n-readynas

However since this is a modified unit, I cannot say if the hardware will prevent it from using drives higher than 4TB. There is also another forum division that talks about OS6 on legacy units which will probably give you more information:

viewforum.php?f=160
Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

It should be no problem on the ultra 2.
Message 3 of 5
utdrmac
Aspirant

Awesome! Thanks. I'll start saving up the money for some 6TB drives. I am allowed to upgrade 1 of the current 3TB drives with a 6TB and then do the other one later right? The RAID will just "figure it all out"?

StephenB wrote:
It should be no problem on the ultra 2.
Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'd recommend going with the RED rather than the Green, but 6TB drives should work fine. Yes you would replace one of the disks with a 3TB one, wait for the resync to complete and then when you are ready do the next one. Note however that the volume won't expand till after you have added the second 6TB disk. The volume can only be expanded when redundant space can be added.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements