× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 - Trying to expand with new 4tb drives

BR4DY
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 - Trying to expand with new 4tb drives

Hi there.

I have a ReadyNas Ultra 4. It came with 3x3tb drives. They got pretty full recently, so I bought a new 4tb drive. Put that in and X-RAID2 did it's thing, and expanded the RAID.

I've just noticed now though, that only 3tb's has been allocated, not the full 4TB's of the drive?

RAIDiator 4.2.28

Thanks in advance for your help!

RAID Configuration
Configuration: RAID Level X-RAID2, 4 disks
RAID Disks:

Ch 1 : WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0 [2794 GB]
2790 GB allocated Locate

Ch 2 : WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0 [2794 GB]
2790 GB allocated Locate

Ch 3 : WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 [2794 GB]
2790 GB allocated Locate

Ch 4 : WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 [3726 GB]
2790 GB allocated Locate

Model: ReadyNASRNDU4220|ReadyNAS Ultra 4
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 - Trying to expand with new 4tb drives

@BR4DY wrote:

Hi there.

I have a ReadyNas Ultra 4. It came with 3x3tb drives. They got pretty full recently, so I bought a new 4tb drive. Put that in and X-RAID2 did it's thing, and expanded the RAID.

I've just noticed now though, that only 3tb's has been allocated, not the full 4TB's of the drive?

You need to install a second 4 TB drive to enable expansion.  That's required to maintain redundancy.

The capacity rule is: sum the disks and subtract the largest.

That gives the same result - 9 TB - for your original configuration and your new one. That would be ~8.2 TiB.

FWIW I suggest getting WDC Red drives in the future - they are similarly priced, have better warranties, and are intended for RAID/NAS.

Message 2 of 4
BR4DY
Aspirant

Thanks! I thought that might be the case, I only actually noticed it wasn't all allocated when I went into admin panel to see what model I had to order another one.

I bought it second hand, but when I used up the first three drives and started researching what to get as the 4th - saw online that the existing ones in there aren't good for NAS 24/7... So my plan is to swtich one of these 3tb ones out now with a new 4td RED and then eventually do the same with the other two as well.

Will I get any expansion when I switch another one out? Or will I need to switch the last two out (obviously not at the same time!)

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@BR4DY wrote:

Will I get any expansion when I switch another one out?

Yes, it will expand by 1 TB.  First the volume will resync.  Then "vertical expansion" will occur. You probably will be prompted to reboot after the initial resync.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements