× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS shut down during expansion process

rpadam
Aspirant

ReadyNAS shut down during expansion process

Hi,
I have the ReadyNAS NV, which I've had since around 2007. It's been running fine, and now I'm trying to expand the capacity. I started with 4x 500GB drives, and I'm upgrading 2 of the drives to 2TB drives. I swapped the first one out, and let it rebuild. Everything seemed to work fine. I swapped the second one out, and after about an hour of rebuilding, the ReadyNAS just shut off. I let the machine sit off for a couple of minutes, then simply turned it back on. The disks seem to be spinning like normal. I'm getting green lights for the three drives that were running fine before swapping the last one in. The new drive is flashing green on the machine, and in the RAIDar software, it's still marked as yellow. When I try to connect to the machine, I'm getting this message "There was a problem connecting to the server 192.168.1.13. The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem."

Should I just let the machine continue to spin? Is it actually still rebuilding now? Can I access the information now before I do any more damage?
Please help. Thanks for your time.
ray
Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS shut down during expansion process

What firmware are you running?
Message 2 of 16
rpadam
Aspirant

RAIDiator™ v3.01c1-p6 [1.00a034]
Message 3 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Still running RAIDiator 3!

Running firmware that old the options to provide assistance are far more limited.

Power down, remove all disks (label order), connect them up to an internal SATA port in your PC and check them e.g. If the disks are SeaGate disks check the, using SeaTools.
Message 4 of 16
rpadam
Aspirant

It always worked fine, so I never upgraded! The machine is on, and still spinning. Is it safe to power down?

All other disks seem to be fine. RAIDar and FrontView seem to confirm this. I also have the 500GB drive that I just pulled out that is still untouched. Also, I'm using an iMac, so there are no serial ports.

Do I power down? Can I re-insert the old 500GB disk? FrontView tells me in big red letters, "Not redundant. A disk failure will render this volume dead. " That makes me nervous.

Thanks for the help.
Message 5 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you access your data? If so the first thing to do is to ensure you have an up to date backup.
Message 6 of 16
rpadam
Aspirant

I can't seem to. This is the message that I receive: "There was a problem connecting to the server 192.168.1.13. The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem."

Unless there's a backdoor way to get into the system, that I don't know about.
Message 7 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What do you see in RAIDar when you hover the mouse over the volume LED?

Please note 2TB disks are not supported on the firmware you are running. The firmware you are running is way too old.
Message 8 of 16
rpadam
Aspirant

It says "Channel 2: Seagate ST3500630AS 465GB, 0C/ 32F"
The drive that's in the bay is a Western Digital 2 TB drive. These are the specs for the drive that I just took out.
Message 9 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What about if you hover the mouse over the volume LED not the disk LED?
Message 10 of 16
rpadam
Aspirant

"Volume C: RAID Level X, Not redundant. A disk failure will render this volume dead., 75% of 1363 GB used"
Message 11 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Power down, remove the disk you last added and see if the NAS comes back up.

If you can then access your data then backup your data.
Message 12 of 16
rpadam
Aspirant

Ok. Once the new drive is out, the NAS is responding and I can access the information. Can I put that original 500GB drive back in? (the one that I was trying to upgrade)
Thank you!
Message 13 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The first thing I suggest you do would be to backup your data e.g. to a drive connected to your Mac
Message 14 of 16
rpadam
Aspirant

OK. After that, can I update the firmware with 3 drives? Or can I reinstall the original 500GB drive? Any advice is helpful.
Message 15 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

After that veerify your backup is good, update the firmware (yes you can do this with just three drives in place), verify update completed successfully, power down, put the disks you wish to use in the NAS and do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything), then restore data from backup
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements