× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 526x - Cannot access and re map drive

TrentSherman
Aspirant

ReadyNas 526x - Cannot access and re map drive

Hi - Can someone help.

I have a changed physical address and a new internet service provider. I am unable to access and/or map the network drive for the Nas device. 

Deleted the previously mapped drive and tried to re map. Will not identify. Can not map and cannot configure or set up via RAIDar. 

RAIDar does show the device with the correct Model, Name, Serial, Firmware,IP Address, and Drives. 

"Authentication Required"

put user and password and a Message pops up: 

"Your NETGEAR storage is not accessible from this computer. Check your network settings."

Please assist. 

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 526x - Cannot access and re map drive

@TrentSherman wrote:

"Your NETGEAR storage is not accessible from this computer. Check your network settings."

Did the RN526 have a static IP address assigned? 

If so, is the IP address still in your router's subnet?

Message 2 of 8
TrentSherman
Aspirant

Hi Stephen, 

Yes I believe so, 192.198.1.2.

RAIDar does recognize this as well.  

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@TrentSherman wrote:

Did you mean 192.168.1.2?

And your PC is assigned a 192.168.1.x address?

Or is it using assigned a 0.x address?

Message 4 of 8
TrentSherman
Aspirant

Yes, apologies.

What is odd, I cannot open and control the RN via RAIDar. I can see it but I cannot access/open it to config. Is there a roundabout way to view the IP?

Message 5 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Before anyone can help you, you need to answer @StephenB's other question:

"And your PC is assigned a 192.168.1.x address?"

You can find out the IP of your PC using the methods listed here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/find-your-ip-address-in-windows-f21a9bbc-c582-55cd-35e0-....

Chances are, it's not, being either a 192.168.0.x or 10.x.x.x, and that is your problem.  All devices must be in the same sub-net to connect to each other.  Assigning a static IP is a bad idea precisely because of what just happened to you.  It is much better to reserve an IP address for the NAS in your router.

If I am correct, then you have a few options:

1. Temporarily assign a static IP to your PC that's also in the 192.168.1.x range (see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-tcp-ip-settings-bd0a07af-15f5-cd6a-363f-ca2b6f391...).  Then when you can get into the GUI, change from static IP to DHCP and re-start the NAS.  Then don't forget to revert back to DHCP on your PC.
  2.   Perform an OS re-install on the NAS (NOT a factory default).  That will also change the IP selection to DHCP but will not harm your data (but accidently doing a factory default instead will).
  3.   Go into the router interface and change it's subnet to 192.168.1.x (often shown as 192.168.1.0/24 or 192.168.1.0 with a network mask of 255.255.255.0).  You may or may not have to re-start the router and devices connected to it.

After you have done this, then go into the router interface and reserve an IP address for your NAS and again re-start the NAS.  If you want to assign an address that's already taken, you'll have to turn the other device off or disconnect it from the network before you can.  Turning it off is better so there is no possibility of conflict when you re-connect it.

If your PC already has an IP in the 192.168.1.x range, then you have a different issue.  I doubt that's the case, but if it is, come back with more details and we'll try again.

Message 6 of 8
TrentSherman
Aspirant

Thank you, just learning here.

I believe this is the IP info you are requesting. 

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@TrentSherman wrote:

I believe this is the IP info you are requesting. 

Yes.  So the PC IP address is 10.0.0.83.  The way the addresses work is that the PC can connect to any local device using a 10.0.0.x address (so any address in between 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.254).

But your NAS IP address is 192.168.1.2 - which is not in the correct range.   This happened because at some point in the past you set the NAS to use a static (fixed) IP address of 192.168.1.2.  And that address is not compatible with your new router settings.

As @Sandshark says, you have two fairly easy ways to fix this. 

One is to go into your router settings, and change the LAN internet addresses to 192.168.1.x instead of  10.0.0.x. After you do that, you will probably need to reboot the PC and any other devices you have connected to the router.  Then you will be able to access the NAS.  The first thing you should do at that point is change the NAS network setting to use DHCP.

The second way is to do an OS reinstall from the front panel. See pages 137-138 here for instructions:

That will do a couple of things, including

• change the network configuration to use DHCP
  • change the admin password to password
  • disable volume quota (which you can re-enable on the volume settings wheel).

After you regain access, you can then go back into your router settings and tell the router to always give the NAS the same IP address.  Some routers call that "IP reservation", others call it "Mac reservation", or even "AARP binding".  If you can tell us the router manufacturer and model, we can probably find the user guide which would allow us to give more more specific steps.

The benefit of assigning the IP address in the router is that it will prevent your issue from happening again the next time you change to a new router.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements