× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 6.2 (NAS locks up entirely)

mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas 6.2 (NAS locks up entirely)

The users in this thread mainly have 100 series units.

This issue does not affect the x86_64 models such as the 312.
Message 226 of 328
StephenB
Guru

andysa wrote:
My Readynas Duo is now on its last legs, locking up and dropping off the Network for no apparant reason, however from my investigations I suspect it is also Kernal panic introduced by one of the later firmware upgrades. Third to last release, to be exact (at work at the moment, dont recall the Version).
It sounds more like a filling OS partition to me - which is easily fixed.

Open a new thread on your problem, and we can respond there (rather than hijacking this one). Please do report the firmware version.
Message 227 of 328
dickerj
Aspirant

Ok so after downgrading from 6.2.3-T1696 to 6.2.0 again the unit took a while to come back online and the screen is stuck on "Booting Upgrading Firmware"
But while it's in this state I can access it over the network and all my backups are successfully backing up to it. It has stayed up for 2.5 days now woohoo.
When I log into the unit it says device not ready and I don't get any info on the dashboard but I don't care at the moment as long as the unit stays on working.
Message 228 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There was a fix for downgrading in 6.2.3 Beta 5.

I don't think running a system with readynasd crashed is a good idea.
Message 229 of 328
nomoss269
Aspirant

Some notes to help you guys at Netgear figure this out. maybe these are coincidences, maybe not. maybe worth a try? apparently you have no other ideas how to recreate the problem.

1. I turned off readycloud and it started locking up after less than 2 hours. turned it back on. lasts at least 5 or 6.
2. I turned time machine on. It allowed me to back up my machine almost all the way before the NAS crashed. after I rebooted it from the crash it had to "rebuilding volume"
3. This morning, only the music share was dead. I was able to access the others for a minute or so, and then they all crashed...

were there instructions posted somewhere for how to downgrade back to 6.1.9 when the unit was able to perform the function for which it was designed?

Would you offer a replacement NAS that is not having this problem to exercise good customer service in exchange for sending in the failing unit for diagnostics/forensics? If, as you say, this is not affecting most users, this would not be a financial hardship for NetGear which takes in around 1.2 billion dollars a year. It would also allow you to evaluate these systems that you have mistakenly destroyed and learn from your mistakes so that this doesn't happen in the future. It would be the responsible thing to do. ReadyNAS marketing is directed at businesses; "ReadyNAS lets you do more with your business data than you ever thought you could afford." these failures are causing companies all over the world money every day in IT service calls and lost productivity.
Message 230 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We have a strong focus on resolving this issue and that due to its intermittent occurrence it has been hard for us to identify.

As explained earlier in our experience if we took the systems out of their environment we would likely find they ran fine with no lockups.
Message 231 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

6.2.3 Beta 6 is available: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=78866

Please try this and let us know how it goes.
Message 232 of 328
chrizfitz
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
We have a strong focus on resolving this issue and that due to its intermittent occurrence it has been hard for us to identify.

As explained earlier in our experience if we took the systems out of their environment we would likely find they ran fine with no lockups.

What environment would you like me to test this in to eliminate this theory?
Message 233 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 234 of 328
chrizfitz
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Please try 6.2.3 Beta 6: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=78866

Installed
No GUI, can ssh but closes on login. Another step backward
Message 235 of 328
ArneG1
Aspirant

Negative here too. Hangs completely with no response to ping, ssh or http. I've been following this issue/tread since update to 6.2.0, waiting for a fiix without involving in this tread. Now I'm here too, experiencing similar issues as the other ones. I'm running as plain setup as possible (SMB,FTP,SSH and HTTP(S). 4 x 2TB WD Reds, 2 volumes, 2 disks in a raid O and 2 in a JBOD) No backup-jobs, no scheduled disk jobs, no apps. Only a few shares. I DO use networkcard-bonding (ALB), but also tried to use only one connection without any effect regarding the lockup issue.

For me the most 'stable' versions since 6.1.x seems to be versions from 6.2.0 up to (and incuding) the fourth 6.2.3 beta. Then the NAS 'only' freezes once or twice every other day or so. Beta 5 and 6 makes it freeze within hours.

I'll send you my logs too if you think they may show anything you haven't already seen in all the othes one's logs...
Message 236 of 328
redhotchilli
Aspirant

My RN104 didn't survive more than a couple of hours on Beta 6 either - the most stable seems to 6.2.0 which goes for over 24 hrs (before crashing)
Message 237 of 328
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

For those still experiencing hangs, please try 6.2.3-T1721.
Message 238 of 328
chrizfitz
Aspirant

Skywalker wrote:
For those still experiencing hangs, please try 6.2.3-T1721.

How with no Web or ssh since beta 6?
Message 239 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We can update this remotely if you give us access (see my PM).

Alternatively if you have a spare disk (must not be from your array) you could power down, remove your disks (label order) and use the spare disk to update firmware the firmware.
Message 240 of 328
redhotchilli
Aspirant

Up for 7 hours so far on T1721 - fingers crossed it makes it through the night

Update: it made it through the night, has been up for 24 hours now
Message 241 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Good. Keep us updated on the progress.
Message 242 of 328
redhotchilli
Aspirant

Still working normally - been up for 31 hours so far
Message 243 of 328
ArneG1
Aspirant

I can also confirm that T1721 seems more stable than any of the previous 6.2.x versions. My NAS has been up for about 25-26 hours as per now..
Message 244 of 328
jhr911
Aspirant

How did you guys get the update to load? My device locks within seconds of restart? Thanks for any help.
Message 245 of 328
redhotchilli
Aspirant

50 hours and still looking good on T1721
Message 246 of 328
sparhawk765
Tutor

Happy for you redhot. 🙂

I also tried the T1721 but still no go, locks up within a couple of hours, or less if I put some load on it. 😞

EDIT: Ok, so I tried switching out the WD Green I was using to test the firmware with since it's not on the list. Tried with a Samsung I had lying around but that resulted in the same lockup 30-40 min into a copy and 60-90 min when idle.
Message 247 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

sparhawk765 can you send a fresh set of logs? Sounds like your unit is probably locking up for a different reason to most others in this thread.

Your report is the first I've seen of any lockups on T1721.
Message 248 of 328
sparhawk765
Tutor

Logs sent, ref. to your above post.
Message 249 of 328
ArneG1
Aspirant

Still alive and kicking on T1721, 48 hours 🙂
Message 250 of 328
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements