× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 6.2 (NAS locks up entirely)

yajdam
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas 6.2 (NAS locks up entirely)

mdgm wrote:
These issues do not appear to be hardware related.

After we release a beta 3 it would be helpful if you could update to that and if it still locks up, send in your logs mentioning the rough time of the lockup in the email.

Ok, I'll send the logs. Is there an ETA for the ReadyNAS 6.2.3 beta 3?

With ReadyNAS 6.2.3-T1652 beta 2 it has been 8 hours and still no lock up. I'm starting to copy stuff.
Message 101 of 328
sauronek
Aspirant

Update to 6.2.3 beta 2 after 15 min freeze. Omg it's realy irritating......
Message 102 of 328
sauronek
Aspirant

On latest beta is even worse 3 time freeze in 3h. Back to 6.2.2.
Message 103 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hopefully this week we'll have a Beta 3.

The upgrade to 6.2 is a one way upgrade and upgrades to e.g. Cloud functionality, snapshots are one way. If downgrading was possible it would require a factory reset.

Identifying what is causing issues for a small number of users and fixing those in a firmware update or providing advice based on the logs as to what is causing the issue is the best way forward.
Message 104 of 328
abcd12341
Aspirant

For users who do not need the new functions, it is best to provide them a downgrade. Factory reset is better than not able to use.
Message 105 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Downgrading is not possible. Anyway even if it were it would only be a temporary fix as you would lose bug fixes and other improvements from 6.2.x. What we want is to get to the bottom of why your units are hanging and resolve this.
Message 106 of 328
guenterp62
Aspirant

guenterp62 wrote:
jaffacake wrote:
Just to add, I've not had another crash on 6.2.2 since the last one I reported a long time above.

I never used any installed apps. I never used disk spin down or AV.

The only change I know I made was to disable DLNA...this seemed to be bogging things down a lot.

As things are stable, I'm not keen to try another beta.

I also deactivated readyDLNA, and I deleted all snapshots and turned snapshots off. Antivirus is disabled as well and no apps are installed or running

... still I had a system freeze again today.

I'm gonna throw this unit out of the window

[2015/01/16 11:00:15] Updated from ReadyNASOS 6.2.2 (ReadyNASOS) to 6.2.3-T1652 (Beta 2).

After this beta-update the system ran for about 2 days until it locked up again today.
Message 107 of 328
tommylommytommy
Aspirant

Mine lasted about 3 days after installing the beta before locking up... guess that's some kind of improvement 😛 It only took a couple of hours before it froze when running 6.2.0->2.
Message 108 of 328
kplatte
Aspirant

Yeah are backup that runs is a large amount of little files as well (1.7TB)and it appears to lock up during that backup every time since going to 6.2.*
Has to major bug in 6.2 since same backup ran fine for a year in 6.1.*
Message 109 of 328
dogbox
Aspirant

Same here - RN316 running 6.1.x for about a year for Shadow Protect backups, upgraded to 6.2 and locks up every few days.
No antivirus, no snapshots, no apps

Cheers
Message 110 of 328
dickerj
Aspirant

Same here - RN104 was running great all last year on 6.1.5, I was worried about updating to latest firmware and kept ignoring the update notice (obviously my gut feeling about not wanting to update was correct)
I wish I didn't hit the stupid update firmware notice! Now my unit keep locking up after half a day or more of being on. Obviously an issue with 6.2.x as I downgraded to 6.2.0 but with no luck.
Also sounds like Netgear don't know what is going on and are blaming it on the Hard Drives. I am running WD 2TB RED NAS Hard Drives in RAID5 so it's not a Seagate issue it's the FIRMWARE!!!!
Message 111 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I looked at your logs dickerj and your disks looked fine. However some user's systems may be locking up due to disk issues so it is a good thing for users to check.
Message 112 of 328
sparhawk765
Tutor

Hello there. Butting in here too since I have the same problem since 6.2.x.

Running a recently factory-reset and re-installed 104 with 4 disks in a RAID-0 configuration. (Yes, I know it's not a resilient setup)

System locks up every 1-3 days, if I load it with IO (copying large amounts of data) it can lock up in as little as 30min.

// Mattias
Message 113 of 328
jzeevi
Aspirant

Hi guys, any luck toward a solution?
Message 114 of 328
dickerj
Aspirant

I have downgraded to 6.2.0 from 6.2.2 and it did lock up once, since then it has stayed on running and this will be it's second night in a row but I'm not holding my breath
Message 115 of 328
dickerj
Aspirant

Ok Diary day # 2, Netgear ReadyNAS 104 still running on firmware 6.2.0 Amazing! Not sure how long this will hold up for but I will keep my backup schedule running as per normal and hope for the best.
Message 116 of 328
Silverstreak
Aspirant

Well, came to this thread to report the very 1st freeze/lockup on my RN 516 running 6.2.2 and 6 x 4 TB WD Red drives. The box was executing a back up task - from an old WD My Book 1 TB USB2 drive. Very slow! Left it to run overnight.

In the morning it had locked up. The browser based front-end/GUI was unresponsive, but the machine could be pinged. I tried to switch off the NAS using the front panel button. The display showed "shutting down' but after 10-15 minutes of waiting I was forced to use the switch on the back panel to completely power down and then restart the NAS.

There are no log entries that would give me a clue why the box locked up. I was worried about data corruption but all seems ok. I may want to downgrade to 6.2 if this happens again.
Message 117 of 328
dickerj
Aspirant

Diary day # 3, Netgear ReadyNAS 104 still running on firmware 6.2.0 and is still responsive with successful backups from last night and is finishing some to the USB Drive now. Will keep you posted.
Message 118 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can some of you try beta 3: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=78866

Those of you with x86_64 devices may also wish to consider 6.3.3 beta 3: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=79670

We have a fix for premature snipping of logs so if your NAS locks up again a fresh set of logs may be more useful. If you send a fresh set of logs it would be helpful if you could state the rough time of the crash.
Message 119 of 328
yajdam
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Can some of you try beta 3:

Those of you with x86_64 devices may also wish to consider 6.3.3 beta 3:

We have a fix for premature snipping of logs so if your NAS locks up again a fresh set of logs may be more useful. If you send a fresh set of logs it would be helpful if you could state the rough time of the crash.

Conclusion of 6.2.3-T1652 5 days trial:
After the initial 33 hours, the RN10400 has locked 2 to 3 times a day, but the editing of etc/sysctl.conf with "kernel.panic = 1" and "kernel.panic_on_oops = 1" is working great.
There for, I'm considering ReadyNAS 6.2.3-T1652 with kernel options a temporary workaround.

Staring ReadyNAS 6.2.3-T1672 (beta 3) trial and I'll try to send you the logs after the first lockup...

First lockup happened around 6:10 PM and I've sent the logs. Mdgm, do you also want the logs?

Message 120 of 328
jzeevi
Aspirant

Tried T1672 on my ReadyNAS104.

System was locked up (T1652), so rebooted at ~9PM to upload new FW
Rebooted again to start new FW
Copied ~225GB from NAS to local storage, finished ~3:42AM
System was discovered locked up ~5:12AM
Rebooted ~5:48 AM Logs gathered, sent in.
Message 121 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It appears most/all of you have USB devices attached to your systems. Can you try removing them and see if the crash still occurs?

It would also be great if you could connect via SSH and run `journalctl -af` until the system crashes. It's quite possible that we'd get some useful output that wouldn't make it to disk.
Message 122 of 328
Silverstreak
Aspirant

I am willing to try out beta software and hope there are no more crashes/freezes.

mdgm - Yes, the NAS box has been running without a problem for about 17-18 hours, with no USB drive connected. Drive spin down is enabled and inactivity counter set at 45 minutes. Snapshots are created every 24 hours. So far so good. I intend keeping the box powered on with 6.2.2. for at least another 12-24 hours to check before attempting to flash the beta.

Could this a problem with the USB driver?
Message 123 of 328
yajdam
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
It appears most/all of you have USB devices attached to your systems. Can you try removing them and see if the crash still occurs?

It would also be great if you could connect via SSH and run `journalctl -af` until the system crashes. It's quite possible that we'd get some useful output that wouldn't make it to disk.

By "USB devices" are you also including UPS data cables? Because I only bought my UPS after the lockups started, to eliminate possible power spikes.

Anyway, I'm running 'journalctl -af' with the UPS data cable plugged in until next lockup. After that, I'll disconnect the UPS and repeat the process.

Thanks!
Message 124 of 328
Silverstreak
Aspirant

Right. So, data backed up and 6.3.3 flashed. Now fingers crossed. I'll report back if I see any lockups or unusual behaviour.

EDIT - Found a touch panel issue within minutes of loading 6.3.3. 😞 Heading over to the relevant thread to report.
Message 125 of 328
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements