× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 6.2 (NAS locks up entirely)

jzeevi
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas 6.2 (NAS locks up entirely)

Do you mean 6.2.3? What version of hte NAS do you have?
Message 151 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

He has the 3220 (12-bay rackmount). He's referring to this: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=79670
Message 152 of 328
jzeevi
Aspirant

Interesting. To the casual observer, it would appear that there are changes to multiple versions of the FW that have created problems in some systems. I've not heard of any progress on the 6.2.x series (smaller NAS's - I have a 104) recently. 6.2.3 was (for me) a complete disaster as was 6.2.2. I'm not yet ready to run 6.2.1 as my primary NAS user (the wife) is making progress on a project she's working on. 🙂

I'm willing to try things as requested by the Netgear folks, but things seem to have stalled. I hope they're having success tracking down the failures.
Message 153 of 328
kplatte
Aspirant

Just update are status running 6.3.3 for the weekend. Friday night no lockup, Saturday and Sunday it locked up.
Message 154 of 328
jzeevi
Aspirant

And, sadly, 6.2.0 on a ReadyNAS 104 ran fine until larger-ish loads were placed on it (reading from three different streams to backup some data).

Any progress NetGear?
Message 155 of 328
ctg13
Aspirant

New to the forum and new to the RN 104 only got it working as of 1/25/15 running 6.2.2 which was the current update ran until 1/26/15 then I suppose it locked up as I was unable to shutdown gracefully using the power button. Not being familiar and kind of in a hurry I removed the power to get it to reboot. It ran well for the whole week until this morning 2/2/15 when it locked up again so being concerned I put in a ticket on it, but have had no response yet. When I have looked at the logs I don't see any problems it just claims it restarted and loads antivirus. However after each start lately it has shown a background operation starting after the restart. No idea as to what, I am running pretty simple but is this lock up the same thing you are all reporting? Today I was in the middle of saving a large file when it stopped again and I can not access it without removing power to restart it. Is this the wrong way to go?
Message 156 of 328
sbogar
Tutor

I got same thing this morning, trying to recover but updating FW is locked up

2nd time this has happened. Pretty unreliable piece of hardware NetGear.

Any idea when you are going to release a fix?
Message 157 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Some issues are fixed by the beta firmware: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=78866

Some users issues have not been reproducible.
Message 158 of 328
dickerj
Aspirant

Whats stupid is that the hardware is fine, its the new 6.2.x firmware that's broke. I was on 6.1.5 for a year and it never locked up. I have no apps running just a few Servers backing up to it and 4 USB drives I rotate each day on it to give me a second backup on the critical data. If we could somehow go back to the magical 6.1.x firmware Netgear would have no more support calls and we would all be a lot happier. I'm running the 104 NAS by the way and I'm back on 6.2.0 firmware but get lockups ranging from half a day to 3 days between them.
Message 159 of 328
sparhawk765
Tutor

I'm running the latest beta firmware on my 104 and I can pretty much force it to lock up by copying some files from my PC to it. If I just let it idle it will lock up within a day or so. I will reboot, trigger a lockup and send in the logfiles later today.
Message 160 of 328
kplatte
Aspirant

After replacing our 3rd hard drive our nightly backups have not locked up the NAS for the past 3 nights. Running 6.3.3 beta.
Message 161 of 328
tommylommytommy
Aspirant

sparhawk765: Same here. If i f.ex upload via ftp and try copying some files to my pc at the same time it locks up at once. Tnx for sending in your log files. I hope they figure it out soon. This is really annoying and reminds me of when i first got the rn104. There were firmware issues then aswell and i couldn't use my new NAS for 1,5 month because of it. Then it was the NAS freezing for minutes at a time because of some filesystem issue which caused temp freezes when the file system was like 60% full plus plus....
Message 162 of 328
sparhawk765
Tutor

Hello again.

So I did a quick test by restarting the 104 (it had frozen during idle) and started copying some files via smb. After 5-10min it froze up so I restarted it again and downloaded the logs which I will upload linking to this post. I really hope we can find some clues to this issue. I have no problem switching disks, raids, settings or other stuff to test it out since the data on it is elsewhere and not critial.

// Mattias
Message 163 of 328
jtclark
Aspirant

6.2.3-T1696 (Beta 4) seems a quite a bit better so far.
Message 164 of 328
dickerj
Aspirant

I will give Netgear a clue! The firmware is dodgy, I have removed the USB drive now and have run on 6.2.0 for a day and it still locked up. No issues with the NAS on firmware 6.1.5, I was ignoring the firmware updates all of last year and wish I was still on 6.1.5. Don't care about what's new in the 6.2.x firmware if it breaks my NAS! Need to have a way to go back to the old firmware and Netgear could make this happen but obviously love the support calls coming in for this crap.
Message 165 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you try 6.2.3 Beta 4. jtclark has found this firmware to be better.

There are several reasons why going back to the old firmware would not be a good idea even if it were possible.
Message 166 of 328
dickerj
Aspirant

I have just uploaded 6.2.3 Beta 4 into the NAS now, will see how we go
Message 167 of 328
yajdam
Aspirant

As expected after reading the changelog, ReadyNAS 6.2.3-T1696 Beta 4 is no better then the previous betas. RN104 idle and 2 lockups in 12 minutes!
I just hope the "Enhance system log download contents" finds something.

Logs sent!
Message 168 of 328
dickerj
Aspirant

Yeah finding the same thing, ReadyNAS 6.2.3-T1696 Beta 4 has locked my NAS up twice but each time not long after booting it up.
Message 169 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

yajdam. You are using WD Green disks. I don't recommend using those. These disks have huge Load Cycle Counts. Have you powered down, removed your disks (label order), hooked them up to your PC and tested these with WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics? If you can't test them with that have you tried running the disk test boot menu option?
Message 170 of 328
sparhawk765
Tutor

Hello again.

I tried the Beta 4 yesterday and installed it around lunchtime 12:00 CET. When I got home from work at around 18 CET it had frozen. I pulled the power and rebooten and went ahead and did a file-copy test which lasted somewhere around 5 hours which is 4.5 hours more than it usually lasts but that might very well be a coincident. It hung just before the copy completed so I rebooted this morning, downloaded the logs and sending them now.

// Mattias
Message 171 of 328
yajdam
Aspirant

mdgm. I hope the ReadyNAS Devs aren't taking the easy road and blame the hard drives for a problem that is clearly firmware related.
I have these WD hard drives since day one of my rn104 which came with ReadyNAS... (let me check the box...) 6.0.4 and until 6.2.0 everything worked
without any type of problem, and I thought "This rn104 was a great buy!".

I already tested the hard drives using the ReadyNAS test disks and WD diagnostics tool (one of the first things I did, after starting to have this lock ups) and all tests reported no errors.

Maybe the right road to take is what ReadyNAS devs have done with x86 systems. Forget this kernel and find out if this still happens with the new kernel present in 6.3.3.
So, when will there be a version of 6.3.3 for arm systems?

Thanks for everything, mdgm.
Message 172 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I am not a ReadyNAS dev. I want to rule out disk issues where possible. Not all users may have the same problem even if they think they have.

Disks can and do fail over time.

We do have a hard drive compatibility list to provide direction as to which drives to use. With drives on the compatibility list for current models we don't need to worry about things like Green features of Green disks and potential implications of that for things such as disk spin-down.

There is work on bringing the new kernel to ARM systems. As to when that will be complete I cannot provide an ETA at this time.

We have not abandoned 6.2.x for x86 systems. 6.3.x is early access for x86. It is 6.2.x that will remain the stable line of firmware for x86 for the present.

From 6.0.0 through to the latest 6.2.x release we have been using the same longterm kernel series. I don't think the lockups are a problem with the kernel. If they were then I don't think it would be claimed that the issues only started on 6.2.x.
Message 173 of 328
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

sparhawk765 I cannot recommend using RAID-0 spanned across mutliple disks. If a disk fails all data is lost.

I would recommend you backup your data and test using X-RAID or RAID-5.

I notice that you too have WD Green disks with a very high load cycle count.
Message 174 of 328
yajdam
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:

Disks can and do fail over time.

Unfortunately, yes they do and this is one of the reasons why I bought the rn104. The use of RAID5.

We do have a hard drive compatibility list to provide direction as to which drives to use. With drives on the compatibility list for current models we don't need to worry about things like Green features of Green disks and potential implications of that for things such as disk spin-down.

If the model/firmware is that picky with hard drives, then Netgear should place a big sticker on every model, saying something like this: "Before buy, check the hard drives compatibility list.", because the main reason for me to buy a NAS, was to put to some use the 3 wd green 2tb I already had. Had I been warned, I would bought another thing or build my own NAS.
I never used the "disk spin-down" feature.

There is work on bringing the new kernel to ARM systems. As to when that will be complete I cannot provide an ETA at this time.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the information.

As for the ReadyNAS 6.2.3-T1696 beta 4 in my rn104, don't know why but is worse than T1652. 6 lockups just today... wait... make that 7! Final count for February 10th... 10 lock ups!

Thank you for everything. (As before, I'm not being ironic.)
Message 175 of 328
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements