× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Duo V2 - Power button/connection/firmware problem???

JOSH-BISHOP
Aspirant

ReadyNas Duo V2 - Power button/connection/firmware problem???

Hey there.. not sure if it's the chassis only or EOL choice for the model. It's definitely a v2 according to the front though.

Product number if it helps is RND-20000-200EUS

I'm on Mac OS 10.13.5 using an orange livebox router.

Brief history: I use my NAS for timemachine backup... I replaced motherboard, screen, everything pretty much on my mac under warranty recently and since then have had problems.  I was able to connect to get at some shared files but not use for time machine which is a different issue I believe.

Fast forward to last week and I upgraded to High Sierra and now I've noticed the connection is refused when I try to click on the admin page.  The one 2TB disk I was using is also reported as a bad disk.  Sorry I don't know if this problem existed before the upgrade as I'd kind of given up on using it for a while.  That also means I can't really downgrade back from High Sierra as I don't have the time machine backup.

I asked the guy in the local computer shop who confirmed the disk has problems.  He thought the unit was OK but the communication was in Spanish!!

I'm ready to go ahead and buy some new hard disks but I'm concerned the unit itself is not functioning correctly - for a couple of reasons.

1. I've tried the 'Factory Default' and 'OS reinstall' following the manual instructions but the results are the same.  Bad disk reported and connection to the admin page refused.

2. My other worry is that the power button doesn't seem to work.  I have to unplug it to turn it off.  I can turn it back on with the power button though.  Could this be a firmware problem or more likely a broken unit due to a power surge or something?

I don't know what else to try - it was bought Dec 2012 so no support for me 🙂

I was going to try download the firmware on to a usb stick then realised I have no idea what I'm doing so stopped.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Josh

Model: RND2000v2|READYNAS DUO v2|EOL
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas Duo V2 - Power button/connection/firmware problem???

Assuming the barracuda is SATA, you can use it for this.  Again, the disk will be wiped/reformatted so anything on it will be destroyed.

The idea is to do a factory install to the scratch disk, and then see if the system works normally again (responds to power down, etc)..  If it does, then you can replace the disk for real, and set the NAS up again.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It's hard to tell if anything is broken other than the disk.

Do you have another disk you can test with? (it will be formatted, so anything it will be lost).

If you do, put in into the NAS and do the factory reset procedure again.  That procedure is on pages 16-17 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/ReadyNAS_Duov2_NV+v2_HW_en_23-Mar-12.pdf

Message 2 of 6
JOSH-BISHOP
Aspirant

I've got a defunct windows pc with an old Seagate Barracuda 500GB drive in it... I'm guessing I can't just stick that in there?!  Sorry I really am clueless!!

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Assuming the barracuda is SATA, you can use it for this.  Again, the disk will be wiped/reformatted so anything on it will be destroyed.

The idea is to do a factory install to the scratch disk, and then see if the system works normally again (responds to power down, etc)..  If it does, then you can replace the disk for real, and set the NAS up again.

Message 4 of 6
JOSH-BISHOP
Aspirant

A million thanks!!  The 'Factory Default' followed by 'OS install' proedures seems to have almost fixed everything.  My dashboard is accessible again and the disk is reporting as healthy.

The power button is the only weird thing... The double click still won't shut down power for some reason but I managed a proper shutdown from within the ReadyNAS dashboard.  I can also unplug it I guess if needed.

Would you recommend the dashboard option on the odd occasion I do need to shut it down?  I'm assuming I just have a hardware fault with the power button and can't do anything about that...

Best

Josh

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@JOSH-BISHOP wrote:

I'm assuming I just have a hardware fault with the power button and can't do anything about that...

That switch does fail sometimes, so it is possible.

You can of course use the dashboard to shut it down.

Now that you've confirmed that the disk was the main issue, I suggest getting a new one that is intended for NAS.  Seagate Ironwolf and WDC Reds are both well suited for your NAS.  Some folks have posted success with the 6 TB models - I suggest not going over that size.  Perhaps 4 TB?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements