× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas NV+ V2 unable to access the data

Hal008
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV+ V2 unable to access the data

Hi Guys

I hope that someone can help me with a recent problem. I am using a ReadyNas NV+ V2. Initially I set it up with 3 * 2TB drives (worked fine). I then added 1 * 3TB WD Red drive in bay 4 (still fine). A month ago I purchased 3 * 3TB WD Red drives and started to replace my existing drives. 

Everything went fine with the first and second drive even if it did that a day and a half. I then replaced the last dive in bay 3 but the next day it reported that the drive was dead. I checked it in my PC and sent it back to be exchanged. At this point I replaced the 2 TB drive into bay 3 as the unit was reporting that c was unprotected. It hasn't recovered from this no matter what drive I put into it.

The replacement drive arrived back this week but still no luck. RAIDar 5.3.11 shows the 4 drives as being healthy but I have no Volume light.

I can see the unit on my network and see all the shares that I created but cannot access them. Is there anything that I can do to recover this without resetting to factory default (will this even work). I'm lucky in that I have most of my files backed up elsewhere but not them all.

Any and all help would ge gratefully received.

Peter

Message 1 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas NV+ V2 unable to access the data

Hello Hal008,

Welcome to the community!

What RAID level do you have for the NAS?

How come you have been replacing disks? This may have caused big problem to the volume because the disks you have replaced is different from the size of the original ones, smaller size.

Do you have full back up copy of the files?

Regards, 

Message 2 of 8
Hal008
Aspirant

Hi JennC,

Thanks for the reply

I'm using X-Raid.

When I bought the unit I was looking for the option of increasing storage space as and when I needed. When I got a bit of cash I bought the 3TB WD Reds and the other drives were going into 2 cloudstations which were going to be my backups instead of having the data stored on multiple USB drives.

When I started to replace the disks I followed all the instructions in the manual. When the first disk was done I was able to access my data from a PC. I powered down the Nas and restarted it before I changed the second drive. When this drive was finished it reported that the volume had increased in size (great). When I replaced the third drive it didn't sound right and it wasn't long before it reported the drive as dead.I checked this drive in my PC and although it powered up it was faulty.

At this stage the Nas reported that C: was unprotected. I didn't check to see if I could access my data at this point. I re-installed the 2TB drive and let it resync.

During this time I was receiving Raid event detected e-mails including

"A new disk was added"

"Raid sync started on volume C"

"Raid sync finished on volume C"

"Found space that can be used to expand capacity, expansion process will start during next boot."

"Volume scan failed to run properly"

"Missing shares detected"

This is now where I'm at. As I said my network sees the Netgear and sees the shares but can't access them.

I have a lot of my files backed up elsewhere unfortunately not everything. I would hate to have to do a complete reset as the netgear is not the fastest item to send files to.

Before I have to do a complete reset I will need to take out the drives and put them through a recovery software but I don’t know if X-Raid will be detected as it is a Netgear thing.

I did try and contact customer support but because my unit is out of warranty my options were to pay for phone support or to ask the community.

I did try the first option but the number they gave me is disconnected (never paid the bill I presume)

Again hoping this can be fixed and any help is great.

Peter

Message 3 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Hal008,

Correct me if I'm wrong. You currently have 3TB each for disks 1 and 2, disk 3 was not successful when you replaced it with 3TB so you put back the 2TB, disk 4 still has the 3TB that was inserted first before the disks 1 and 2.

This may need to be fixed by L3 already, Can you please check if you can still access the files without the disk 3 and just have the 3TB disks 1,2 and 4?

Regards,

Message 4 of 8
Hal008
Aspirant

Hi JennC

I removed drive 3 and did a shutdown and restart. Finally finished rebooting and displays C:unprotected but this time I can access my files. I'm currently transferring all my files that I had not backedup elsewhere. I won't be able to do anything till morning when everything is finished.

At that stage I presume that I just put the new 3TB in or is there something else that needs to be done first.

What do you mean by "This may need to be fixed by L3 already"

Thanks for the help and if I don't hear from you I'll let you know what happens when the new drive goes in.

Peter

Message 5 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Hal008,

Good to hear you can access the files. It's time to back up the files as you may need to factory reset with the disks that you would like to use it with.

Fixing by L3 is through support center and this requires support contract that has a fee. It is best you get a full backup instead so you can go ahead and factory reset to do fresh install with the new disks.

Regards,

Message 6 of 8
Hal008
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for the help. 

I hope that the addition of the 3TB works without a factory reset as I don't relish the thought of putting nearly 4.5TB of files back on it.

I'll keep you informed

Thanks

Peter

Message 7 of 8
Hal008
Aspirant

Hi

An update on this problem.....

1. Factory reset still showed the 4 drives in green but still no volume.
2. Pulled all the drives and ran complete tests with WD Diagnostic software... All drives passed all tests.
3. Put 4 1TB drives in the unit and it works fine.
4. I've noticed on a few selling sites that this unit was sold with only 3 * 3TB drives, so I reset it up with this configuration and it works       fine. If I then add the 4th drive I'm back to it not working.
5. At this stage I feel that I've spent far to long on this and I'll need to look into a different option for a Nas.

Thanks for the help but I think that this thread can be closed but not solved.

Peter

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements