× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas NV+ backing up to External Hard Drive

esaunders
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV+ backing up to External Hard Drive

Hello,

My small office just purchased a 1TB external hard drive and would like to do two things:
1. back up our current data to the external hard drive
2. create a way to save documents to both the external hard drive and Nas at the same time.

Is there a way to do both of these things? I think I know how to do number one (copy/paste file folders from Nas into the external hard drive), but I'm not sure if there is a way to do 2. We have multiple computers and we are prepared to only have one computer hooked up to the hard drive, but I thought I would ask if anyone knew of a way to have Nas and the external hard drive hooked up to one another so they automatically update.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Erin
Message 1 of 6
sphardy1
Apprentice

Re: ReadyNas NV+ backing up to External Hard Drive

Why not connect the disk to the NAS and then setup a frequently running backup job from NAS to Disk? While not "instantaneous", on the ReadyNAS Pro (in your signature) jobs can be run as often as every hour. I'm not sure of the NV+ frequency
Message 2 of 6
esaunders
Aspirant

I'm sorry for the delay in reply. I did not get an email like I thought I would when someone replied to my question. This sounds like a great idea. I'm a bit of a novice however. I have not installed the new hard drive to anything just yet- do I just plug the new hard drive into our NV+? That is what the external hard drive people suggested, but they weren't 100% sure.
Message 3 of 6
sphardy1
Apprentice

Correct - it will then appear as a available destination when creating a backup job in Frontview (the NAS configuration interface).
Message 4 of 6
esaunders
Aspirant

Great! I will give this a shot. Now if something were to happen to our NAS system, we wouldn't lose the documents saved on the hard drive even though they are connected, correct?
Message 5 of 6
esaunders
Aspirant

Much easier than I expected! Thanks so much!
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements