× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas NV+ "Kernel Panic"

clingon
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV+ "Kernel Panic"

Hi

ReadyNas NV+ RND4000 wont boot, LCD just displays "Kernel Panic"

I've performed the memory test twice as recommended in forum threads I've stumbled across.
(hold down power button on power-up until 'Memory test' is displayed, then release)

Every time I reboot I can't seem to get by 'Kernel Panic'

Any suggestions?

Thanks 🙂
Message 1 of 24
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas NV+ "Kernel Panic"

Do you have a backup? Also, was there anything you might have done that resulted in this behavior?

If you have a scratch disk (whether approved or not), you can power down the NAS and remove the drives (recording the slot order). Then insert the scratch disk and power up. If the hardware is functional, it will do a factory install. If all that works, then shut it down and reinstall the original disks in the correct slots.

You could also try powering up the NAS w/o disk 1 (but with all the rest), and see if that works. You can repeat that experiment with the other drives removed (one at a time). Be sure you have the NAS powered down when you insert/remove drives in this particular test.

If that fails, you could try an OS reinstall from the front panel with all disks in place.

mdgm (or others) might have some other ideas.
Message 2 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

if you can test the disks with SeaTools that could also be good.
Message 3 of 24
clingon
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Do you have a backup? Also, was there anything you might have done that resulted in this behavior?

If you have a scratch disk (whether approved or not), you can power down the NAS and remove the drives (recording the slot order). Then insert the scratch disk and power up. If the hardware is functional, it will do a factory install. If all that works, then shut it down and reinstall the original disks in the correct slots.

You could also try powering up the NAS w/o disk 1 (but with all the rest), and see if that works. You can repeat that experiment with the other drives removed (one at a time). Be sure you have the NAS powered down when you insert/remove drives in this particular test.

If that fails, you could try an OS reinstall from the front panel with all disks in place.

mdgm (or others) might have some other ideas.

Hi Stephen

Thanks for reply , I have a back-up of the NAS on my secod readynas but its a bit out of date & for some reason some files would never copy across, so its there with most of my files, but not ideal.

The NV+ stuck in 'Checking Quota' for about a day I pulled the power & rebooted to find the kernel panic message.

I've performed two memory check which are O.K.

Apologies but not too sure what you mean by scratch disk, if its just a spare disk then I dont have one I'm afraid.

I'll try pulling the disks tonight & let you know how I get on.

mdgm wrote:

if you can test the disks with SeaTools that could also be good.

Thanks mdgm, I've downloaded & ran SeaTools, but it doesn't seem to detect the NAS/ drives.
Message 4 of 24
StephenB
Guru

clingon wrote:
Apologies but not too sure what you mean by scratch disk, if its just a spare disk then I dont have one I'm afraid.
yes, a spare.

clingon wrote:
I've downloaded & ran SeaTools, but it doesn't seem to detect the NAS/ drives.
Of course not. You need to pull the drives and connect them to the PC. USB adapters/enclosures will work - or connect it as an internal drive. Windows won't recognize the partitions, but seatools should see the drive and let you test it.
Message 5 of 24
clingon
Aspirant

OK I removed the drives one by one, powering up after each removal & the NAS booted up when the 3rd drive was removed. 🙂

I can now see the NAS in RAIDar however the volume status is black (no green LED icon next to it)

The three drives all have the green LED icon next to them.

I can login to the NAS via Frontview, however volume is at "0%"

I'm guessing this may be due to the fact one drive has been removed from the array or I've suffered two HDD failures.

I dont really have any means of mounting a HDD externally to test with SeaTools.

Any ideas where I can go from here, or a way to see if the data has indeed been lost for good?

Thanks
Message 6 of 24
StephenB
Guru

Removing 1 drive should not destroy the array. Two disk failures would.

What are the SMART stats for drives 1, 2, 4? Can you test drive 3 with seatools?
Message 7 of 24
clingon
Aspirant

SMART Information for Disk 1

Model: ST31000340AS
Serial:
Firmware: SD15
SMART Attribute
Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 41
Reallocated Sector Count 1
Power On Hours 27103
Spin Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 41
End-to-End Error 0
Reported Uncorrect 0
Command Timeout 195
High Fly Writes 0
Airflow Temperature Cel 37
Temperature Celsius 37
Current Pending Sector 0
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
ATA Error Count 0

Extended Attribute
Hot-add events 0
Hot-remove events 0
Lp stat events 0
Power glitches 0
Hard disk resets 0
Retries 0
Repaired sectors 0

Model: ST31000528AS
Serial:
Firmware: CC38
SMART Attribute
Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 41
Reallocated Sector Count 4015
Power On Hours 21258
Spin Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 31
Runtime Bad Block 0
End-to-End Error 0
Reported Uncorrect 21
Command Timeout 5
High Fly Writes 2
Airflow Temperature Cel 37
Temperature Celsius 37
Current Pending Sector 0
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Head Flying Hours 80423262636686
Total LBAs Written 3428999559
Total LBAs Read 1738524349
ATA Error Count 2

Extended Attribute
Hot-add events 0
Hot-remove events 0
Lp stat events 4
Power glitches 0
Hard disk resets 0
Retries 0
Repaired sectors 0

SMART Information for Disk 4

Model: ST31000333AS
Serial:
Firmware: CC3H
SMART Attribute
Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 33
Reallocated Sector Count 547
Power On Hours 22779
Spin Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 33
End-to-End Error 0
Reported Uncorrect 0
Command Timeout 198
High Fly Writes 2481
Airflow Temperature Cel 35
Temperature Celsius 35
Current Pending Sector 0
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Head Flying Hours 25649544714491
Total LBAs Written 1088682522
Total LBAs Read 1532706649
ATA Error Count 0

Extended Attribute
Hot-add events 0
Hot-remove events 0
Lp stat events 2
Power glitches 0
Hard disk resets 0
Retries 0
Repaired sectors 0

Im currently waiting on a HDD dock which I can use to test the disk 3, it should be with me in less than a week
Message 8 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

At least two of disks 1, 2 and 4 look like they need replacing.

My guess would be disks weren't replaced when they needed to be and now it's too late.

It looks like data recovery for this array would be expensive with no guarantees that it would be successful.

Did you manage to grab the logs zip file?

If so could you email it to me?: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/misc/how_do_i_send_all_logs
Message 9 of 24
StephenB
Guru

The first disk in the list (1 reallocated sector) would be on my watch list, but usually I'd still keep it in service. Though if I saw any operational issues due to the 195 command timeouts I would replace it. I did have one disk that starting timing out/locked up and had command timeouts and ATA issues, but the SMART stats were otherwise flawless (no bad sectors, etc).

The second disk has ~4000 reallocated sectors and the third has ~500. Generally I advise replacement at 25-50 reallocated(+ pending) sectors. Yours are definitely not in good shape.
Message 10 of 24
clingon
Aspirant

Thanks very much guys. Looks like I'll need to need to refer to the back up I have of the NAS. 😞

I looking at grading to 3tb drives but I'm not sure thats possible?

Would I be able to get your opinion on the other NAS drives I have in the second NAS? Think disk 4 deffo needs replaced & have it on order.

SMART Information for Disk 1

Model: ST32000542AS
Serial:
Firmware: CC34
SMART Attribute
Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 16
Reallocated Sector Count 0
Power On Hours 21468
Spin Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 16
Runtime Bad Block 0
End-to-End Error 0
Reported Uncorrect 0
Command Timeout 2
High Fly Writes 0
Airflow Temperature Cel 29
Temperature Celsius 29
Current Pending Sector 0
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Head Flying Hours 35704063153154
Total LBAs Written 2377468691
Total LBAs Read 194724557
ATA Error Count 0

Extended Attribute
Hot-add events 0
Hot-remove events 0
Lp stat events 3
Power glitches 0
Hard disk resets 0
Retries 0
Repaired sectors 0

SMART Information for Disk 2

Serial:
SMART Attribute
Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 16
Power On Hours 21467
Spin Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 16
Runtime Bad Block 0
End-to-End Error 0
Reported Uncorrect 0
Command Timeout 2
High Fly Writes 4
Airflow Temperature Cel 32
Temperature Celsius 32
Current Pending Sector 0
Offline Uncorrectable 0
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Head Flying Hours 177652732285954
Total LBAs Written 4211743045
Total LBAs Read 855874854
ATA Error Count 0

Extended Attribute
Hot-add events 0
Hot-remove events 0
Lp stat events 1
Power glitches 0
Hard disk resets 0
Retries 0
Repaired sectors 0

SMART Information for Disk 3

Serial:
SMART Attribute
Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 16
Power On Hours 21466
Spin Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 16
Runtime Bad Block 0
End-to-End Error 0
Reported Uncorrect 0
Command Timeout 1
High Fly Writes 175
Airflow Temperature Cel 32
Temperature Celsius 32
Current Pending Sector 8
Offline Uncorrectable 8
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Head Flying Hours 141119740466177
Total LBAs Written 316942558
Total LBAs Read 3936962998
ATA Error Count 0

Extended Attribute
Hot-add events 0
Hot-remove events 0
Lp stat events 0
Power glitches 0
Hard disk resets 0
Retries 0
Repaired sectors 0

SMART Information for Disk 4

Serial:
Firmware: CC94
SMART Attribute
Spin Up Time 0
Start Stop Count 20
Reallocated Sector Count 2724
Power On Hours 20773
Spin Retry Count 0
Power Cycle Count 20
Runtime Bad Block 0
End-to-End Error 0
Reported Uncorrect 0
Command Timeout 1
High Fly Writes 0
Airflow Temperature Cel 29
Temperature Celsius 29
Current Pending Sector 929
Offline Uncorrectable 929
UDMA CRC Error Count 0
Head Flying Hours 135179800695126
Total LBAs Written 2983325951
Total LBAs Read 1625895409
ATA Error Count 0

Extended Attribute
Hot-add events 0
Hot-remove events 0
Lp stat events 3
Power glitches 0
Hard disk resets 0
Retries 0
Repaired sectors 0
Message 11 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

2TB drives are the max supported by your NV+ units. So 4x2TB disks is the max you can put in one.

In the second NAS: Disk 4 definitely and probably disk 3 too.
Message 12 of 24
clingon
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
2TB drives are the max supported by your NV+ units. So 4x2TB disks is the max you can put in one.

In the second NAS: Disk 4 definitely and probably disk 3 too.

Thanks mdgm, do you know if the 2TB limit is a hardware or a software limit?

I'm wondering if there would be any chance of a future update or hack either official or unofficial that would allow the use of 3TB drives?

I'm sure I've read something about daisy chaining? Would there be any way to use two NV+ linked together to create one large 16TB X-RAID array?

That way I may even consider buying 2 addition NV+ units & replicating the set-up I have at the moment however instead of having 8TB X-Raid & a 8TB X-Raid back-up I could have 16TB & 16TB back-up?

Thanks 🙂
Message 13 of 24
StephenB
Guru

clingon wrote:
...do you know if the 2TB limit is a hardware or a software limit?
It's definitely a hard limit, with no hacks to fix it. Netgear was apparently looking at fixing it when the 3 TB drives first came out, but eventually said no. The NV+ v1 has been end-of-life for a long time now, and certainly isn't competitive any more - there are some maintenance releases from time to time, but that's all you should expect.

clingon wrote:
I'm sure I've read something about daisy chaining? Would there be any way to use two NV+ linked together to create one large 16TB X-RAID array?
No. Some of the newer modules have an expansion module (EDA500). That simply wouldn't work on the NV+, and it would be a very bad idea to span a RAID array across two chassis.

So you are at the ceiling of what the NV+ v1 allows - 8 TB raw storage, 6 TB (or about 5500 GiB) volume size. Anything more requires a new NAS. That could either be a second NAS (not connected with your NV+) or a new replacement.

The RN104 is much faster than what you have, and currently has a street price of ~$230 in the US. The two bay version (RN102) can be found for about $150 - less than the price of one 4 TB disk drive.
Message 14 of 24
clingon
Aspirant

Thanks again Stephen

Admittedly I know nothing about the internal workings of the NV+.

However, gut tell's me Netgear could have implemented something fairly easily to get the 3TB to work in the NV+ :roll:

Thanks for the recommendation of the RN104, I would probably go out & buy a couple (like Netgear want me to do) if they were the 2014 equivalent of the NV+, but they don't review very well. Also, now I'm thinking are the gonna go "End Of Life" on me in like 6 months time? lol

Think if I was going to get a new NAS I would go for the Synology DiskStation 4-Bay DS412+
Message 15 of 24
StephenB
Guru

clingon wrote:
However, gut tell's me Netgear could have implemented something fairly easily to get the 3TB to work in the NV+
Back in 2010 (when 3 TB drives hit the market) Netgear had a huge business incentive to support them on the NV+ v1. If it had had been "fairly easy" they would certainly have done so. Also, I have a couple of pre-2010 PCs that never managed to support these drives either (at least not using the SATA interfaces on the system boards).

So I think your gut is wrong.

clingon wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation of the RN104...now I'm thinking are the gonna go "End Of Life" on me in like 6 months time?
That doesn't seem likely to me. And if it did happen you could migrate the disks to several other OS6 models (any of the RN300 or RN500 series) without data loss.

clingon wrote:
Think if I was going to get a new NAS I would go for the Synology DiskStation 4-Bay DS412+
The equivalent readynas would be the RN314.
Message 16 of 24
clingon
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen

I found this article on 3TB drives...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/235088/everything_you_need_to_know_about_3TB_hard_drives.html

What I take from that is that the technology to support higher than 2TB drives was around for years before the NV+ & many vendors incorporated as a matter of course.

However Infrant/ Netgear, producing hardware for the sole purpose of data storage decided not to do so?

Depending on which side of the fence you're sitting on I think many would see that as incredibly silly or clever.

Also it's evident if you look at the rear of the first generation NV+ units that production modifications were being implemented.

My two NV+ units state 'NV+ v2' & 'NV+ v3' after them (although confusingly they are both 'NV+ V1' units if you go by the model number).

There appears to have been clear chances to modify & implement the use of 3tb drives with the NV+, either from the outset, within the further two modifications or possibly since the 'EOL'.

At least, it would have been nice if Netgear could have maybe issued a statement or explanation on why 3TB drives wont work, especially for those who purchased NV+'s when 3TB drives were actually on the market. Some might wonder that the fact nothing has been said, actually says a whole lot more.

Anyway's what I will give them is the fact I have this great forum to voice my personal opinion on to the great people on here helping out, that's invaluable & one reason why I opted to buy my NV+'s when I did. 😄

Thanks for the recommendation on the RN314, these days I often make purchases on the strength of price & Amazon reviews which have never let me down.

At the moment:

RN31400-100NAS
$539.74 & FREE Shipping

16 Reviews - Ave. 4/5 Stars
5 star:(9)
4 star:(3)
3 star:(1)
2 star:(2)
1 star:(1)

DS412+
$577.47 & FREE Shipping

211 Reviews - Ave. 4.5/5 Stars
5 star:(147)
4 star:(39)
3 star:(11)
2 star:(5)
1 star:(9)

On that bases, if I need to upgrade I would probably go for the Synology unless there was an obvious plus point staying with Netgear.

I've checked & Synology also have a forum.
Message 17 of 24
StephenB
Guru

clingon wrote:
Some might wonder that the fact nothing has been said, actually says a whole lot more.
Actually, as early as January 2011 Netgear folks were posting here that Sparc (nv+) support was "unlikely"
- viewtopic.php?f=65&t=49775&p=284341#p284341

That about 4 months after the first 3 TB drive model was introduced. So as far as I'm concerned they were up front about this. Frankly, in 2011 it was pretty clear that the V1 platforms didn't have much life left - the sparc chip didn't have the horsepower.

Of course there is competition in this market, and there are plenty of reasonable people who chose Synology. If you think they make a better product, then go ahead.
Message 18 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

clingon wrote:

However Infrant/ Netgear, producing hardware for the sole purpose of data storage decided not to do so?

The NV+ is an evolutionary improvement over the NV which was released in Feb 2006 which is similar to hardware released in 2004.

The Sparc ReadyNAS units use hardware accelerated RAID. We added support for 4k sector partition alignment.

For x86 we added support for GPT in 4.2.16. This also uses software RAID but without hardware acceleration.

Even if support for GPT was possible there would likely be performance issues using high capacity disks on Sparc.

My recommendation is to go with a NAS with an Intel CPU if you want to use high capacity disks.

clingon wrote:

Also it's evident if you look at the rear of the first generation NV+ units that production modifications were being implemented.

My two NV+ units state 'NV+ v2' & 'NV+ v3' after them (although confusingly they are both 'NV+ V1' units if you go by the model number).

There appears to have been clear chances to modify & implement the use of 3tb drives with the NV+, either from the outset, within the further two modifications or possibly since the 'EOL'.

The hardware modifications made were due to the need to change some parts e.g. NICs used, due to previous parts used no longer being available.
clingon wrote:

At least, it would have been nice if Netgear could have maybe issued a statement or explanation on why 3TB drives wont work, especially for those who purchased NV+'s when 3TB drives were actually on the market. Some might wonder that the fact nothing has been said, actually says a whole lot more.

As Stephen mentioned yoh-dah did say that Sparc support for 3TB disks was "unlikely".
clingon wrote:

Anyway's what I will give them is the fact I have this great forum to voice my personal opinion on to the great people on here helping out, that's invaluable & one reason why I opted to buy my NV+'s when I did. 😄

Yes. This forum was a big reason why I first came to use the ReadyNAS back in 2009.
clingon wrote:

On that bases, if I need to upgrade I would probably go for the Synology unless there was an obvious plus point staying with Netgear.

The ReadyNAS 314 has double the RAM (2 GB vs 1 GB in the Synology) and uses BTRFS, a modern filesystem which has some nice features that help provide better protection for your data.

Do your research and choose the new NAS that suits you.
Message 19 of 24
clingon
Aspirant

Thanks guys, as a small home user that heavily invested a large chunk of their $$$ on 2 x NV+ NAS units, I'm just a bit frustrated that I can use larger than 2tb drives & will soon have to buy 2 new NAS units. 😞

Do you know when would the RN31400-100NAS go end of life?

Also, with regards to future expansion & expandability how would the Netgear fair against the Synology in your opinion?

Thanks 🙂
Message 20 of 24
StephenB
Guru

One quick point - one option you have is to buy a single NAS and back it up to the two NV+. That assumes that you won't have more than 16 TB of space on the new NAS, and use jbod on the two NV+. So you might not need 2 new units.

I don't work for Netgear, so I have no EOL information (if I were working for them, I almost certainly couldn't comment). The RN314 came out in March 2013. It's part of a much larger family of OS6 products, and you can migrate disks between the various platforms without data loss. That includes migration from the ARM RN100 series to the x86 devices. I don't see Netgear making this end-of-life anytime soon.

I've never owned a Synology, and I really don't want to compare the ReadyNAS I know well with the Synology I don't know at all.

Overall, I've found the ReadyNAS to be extremely reliable over the years - I have 4, and no failures to this point. So if I were looking for another NAS now, I would certainly start there. The one thing I don't like is the cloud implementation - performance is hit or miss, and there have been Netgear cloud apps that weren't maintained (for instance ReadyNAS photos). They need to fix that (and I think they know that).
Message 21 of 24
clingon
Aspirant

One quick point - one option you have is to buy a single NAS and back it up to the two NV+. That assumes that you won't have more than 16 TB of space on the new NAS, and use jbod on the two NV+. So you might not need 2 new units.

Thanks sounds like a great idea if it can be done Stephen!

So for talking sake I could have a new 16TB NAS & have it backed up to the 2no 8TB NV+'s 😄

How would you be able to get the NV's to recognise the 16TB back-up when they are two separate units, is that possible/ fairly easily?

Thanks 🙂
Message 22 of 24
StephenB
Guru

To get 8 TB in each NV+ you need to use jbod (creating 4 volumes on each NAS). Of course if you have a 12 TB volume on the main NAS, you can use xraid on both NV+.

You backup some shares to each volume with frontview backup jobs. So if you have jbod, you do need to create lots of shares.
Message 23 of 24
clingon
Aspirant

Great thanks Stephen will save up for new hdds & give this a try 🙂 Thanks very much for your invaluable help!
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements