× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas RND4000 v3 not powering on after power cut

StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas RND4000 v3 not powering on after power cut

199M /var/log/daemon.log
234M /var/log/syslog

Truncating these two will likely make the system bootable, but there is more stuff that needs to be trimmed.  So I think we need to look in some other places.

Here's what I have in my OS partition:

208k    apps
2.6M    bin
144k    dev
14M     etc
17M     frontview
16k     initrd
36M     lib
16k     lost+found
16k     mnt
832k    opt
16k     proc
16k     ramfs
208k    root
3.2M    sbin
16k     sys
512k    tmp
16k     USB
158M    usr
67M     var

Can you try checking these folders?

for instance, enter du -csh /etc to check /etc.  Note any large variations and we can drill down into those folders.

Message 26 of 33
Chiragtailor
Aspirant

So after emptying those two files using the echo command, I was able to boot the NAS, however disk 3 was showing as 'Dead' in in RAIDar and Frontview. I thought it may not be seated properly after me removing/reseating numerous times during troubleshooting, it so I shutdown normally, took it out and reseated it.

After booting again, it is showing the disk as initialising (Screenshot attached). I'm now worried there could be a genuine issue with the disk but I dont want to shut it down again, so do you think it's best to let it complete?

In hindsight I wish I had run the commands for the other directories. It looks like it is going to take a while to complete initialisation (I assume this means initiatilise the disk and also sync with the RAID?), after which I'll go back into tech mode to check size of the other directories. Should I wait until both the initialisation and further clearing of log files is complete before I attempt any further backups/copies of the data off the NAS? I would like to do this at the earliest but safest opportunity...

Message 27 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@Chiragtailor wrote:

After booting again, it is showing the disk as initialising (Screenshot attached). I'm now worried there could be a genuine issue with the disk but I dont want to shut it down again, so do you think it's best to let it complete?

Probably best to let it complete.

@Chiragtailor wrote:

after which I'll go back into tech mode to check size of the other directories. Should I wait until both the initialisation and further clearing of log files is complete before I attempt any further backups/copies of the data off the NAS? I would like to do this at the earliest but safest opportunity...

FWIW, you can also install the ssh add-on - then you could clear the logs while running the NAS normally.

Backing up the files is higher priority than completing the fix on the logs. 

Message 28 of 33
Chiragtailor
Aspirant

@StephenBI can't thank you enough for your help! The initialisation completed along with the sync, so all disks are showing green. Checked the SMART data for the disk and it's not showing any errors, which is strange.

I've managed to start backing up my data which is a relief.

I've tried to run the command to get a list of the directories and this is attached, any in particular to dig into (if indeed I've run it correctly?)

Message 29 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@Chiragtailor wrote:

I've tried to run the command to get a list of the directories and this is attached, any in particular to dig into (if indeed I've run it correctly?)

It looks like you are running ssh (with the NAS booted normally).  There are some mount points on the OS partition which sometimes can get in the way of analysis.  The way to overcome this is to remount the OS partition on /mnt, and then check /mnt.

mount --bind / /mnt

Once you've done that, let's take a fresh look at total space and see if we still have a problem.

df /mnt -h
df /mnt -i

BTW, to undo the mount above, you can enter

cd //
umount /mnt
Message 30 of 33
Chiragtailor
Aspirant

Apologies I forgot to mention that I installed the EnableRootSSH add-on. I've run those commands and attached the output

Message 31 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@Chiragtailor wrote:

Apologies I forgot to mention that I installed the EnableRootSSH add-on. 

No problem.

@Chiragtailor wrote:

I've run those commands and attached the output

28% utilization is in the typical range.  So the system appears to have rotated whatever other logs were oversized.

There's no need to do any more with the OS partition at this point, although I do suggest checking the utilization every now and then for next month or so.

Message 32 of 33
Chiragtailor
Aspirant

Sorry for the late reply. That sounds great, will do. Thanks again for all your help!
Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements