× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas ULTRA 6 Redundancy question

marky1
Aspirant

ReadyNas ULTRA 6 Redundancy question

Hey there, I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 6 with 6 1TB seagate hard drives. I'm currently using X-RAID2 and I'm wondering whether or not my setup is set to single redundancy or dual redundancy? Right now with all 6 1TB drives, I have 4611 GB available for use. I don't see any option under volume settings for dual redundancy later, just:

Configuration: RAID Level X-RAID2, 6 disks

Any input would be great. Thanks 🙂
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas ULTRA 6 Redundancy question

You are using single-redundancy. If you were using dual-redundancy it would say so and you would have a volume capacity <4TB not >4TB with your disks.

As your drive bays are full the only way to migrate to dual-redundancy would be to:
1. Backup all data
2. Verify backup is good
3. Upgrade to latest RAIDiator via System > Update > Remote in Frontview (note if running firmware older than 4.2.16 you will need to update twice, once to 4.2.16 and then to the latest firmware).
4. Do a System > Config Backup
5. Do a factory default (e.g. via System > Update > Factory Default).
6. Since you have 6 disks installed X-RAID2 dual-redundancy should be chosen automatically, but if you wish you can open RAIDar (http://www.readynas.com/downloads), click setup during the 10 minute countdown, and choose X-RAID2 and tick the dual-redundancy option.
7. Restore Config Backup
8. Restore data from backup

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 5
marky1
Aspirant

Thought so! Thanks for verifying! 🙂 The ReadyNAS Ultra 6 with 4.2.19 firmware should allow me to use disks >= 3 TB, correct? Also, in the event the ReadyNAS box fails, is it possible to retrieve the data without purchasing another ReadyNAS box given its an X-RAID2 setup?
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

marky wrote:
Thought so! Thanks for verifying! 🙂 The ReadyNAS Ultra 6 with 4.2.19 firmware should allow me to use disks >= 3 TB, correct?

Yes.
marky wrote:

Also, in the event the ReadyNAS box fails, is it possible to retrieve the data without purchasing another ReadyNAS box given its an X-RAID2 setup?

Yes. It would be easiest to use another ReadyNAS box, but any x86 Linux machine should easily be able to be used to recover your data (provided disks are fine).
Message 4 of 5
marky1
Aspirant

Thank you very much! Extremely helpful :):)
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements